Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 5 - Setup was unable to create the directory - virus?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Skyler27

Skyler27

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:52 AM

anytime I try to install any program I get this error:

Setup was unable to create the directory "E:\Program Files\..."

Error 5: Access is denied.

Does anyone know if a virus can cause this??  I have not made any recent changes to my firewall, or antivirus...  although I did delete some empty "temp" folders on my C: drive "documents & settings" area, because I thought they were useless since they were empty.

I've been reading up on this error, and it might be possible that deleting those folders may have caused the problem, but I'm not sure and I'm also worried about a possible virus. I don't remember where the temp folders were, and I'm not sure if it's as simple as just re-creating the folders again? I'm using windows xp, and I ran my antivirus scans but it found nothing, although I know that doesn't necessarily mean that a virus isn't hidden somewhere undetected.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:13 AM

Are you logged in as an Administrator?

If not, try running it as Administrator.

Otherwise, right-click the install icon and select Run as Administrator.

I doubt this is the work of a virus, but a general permissions issue.  You need elevated permissions to write into the Program files or Program Files (x86) folders.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#3 Skyler27

Skyler27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:37 PM

yes I'm logged in as administrator - always. this is my computer and I'm the only one using it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users