Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nearly one million new malware threats were released online every day in 2014

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:27 AM

Nearly one million new malware threats were released online every day in 2014, with five out of six large companies globally targeted, according to a new report............

...........  “Cybercriminals are inherently lazy; they prefer automated tools and the help of unwitting consumers to do their dirty work,” said Kevin Haley, director, Symantec Security Response.

“Last year, 70 per cent of social media scams were shared manually, as attackers took advantage of people’s willingness to trust content shared by their friends.” ...........

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:41 AM

There goes the rumor that security companies create viruses to sell their product :crazy:

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:45 AM

It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:55 AM

With this many new threats coming out each day it's no wonder an antivirus can't keep up with catching all of them, time to run a script blocker in your browser as an extra defensive layer. And make sure to check all the files you download for whether they are sneakily disguised in the form of im_just_a_perfectly_harmless_image.jpg.exe by ticking the "display full file extensions even for known file types" box in "folder options" of windows file explorer, anything with two extensions the second being exe or scr is almost guaranteed to be a virus.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 cwbytez

cwbytez

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:01 AM

There goes the rumor that security companies create viruses to sell their product :crazy:

+1

My native language isn't English,so please point out to me out if I make any grammar mistake :P (i'm not really good at english)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users