Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD error: kernel_data_inpage_error error: memory_management

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thehabitatdoctor

thehabitatdoctor

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:37 PM

I'm working with an HP touchsmart running Windows 8 that started BSOD out of nowhere.

There are two BSOD errors while trying to browse the web:

error: kernel_data_inpage_error
error: memory_management

Chrome shuts down within seconds and I can't uninstall or reinstall it. I click but nothing manifests. IE works for about a minute and then freezes and shuts down. Occasionally it freezes on a green screen.

Total disk usage was at 100%, most of it being used by System. Ran CCleaner and it's down to normal, but the problem persists.

Memory test found no errors.
Resetting CMOS has no effect.
No malware found by MBAM/Avast

Any thoughts on this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:55 PM

My first thought would that there is possibly a heat problem

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:13 PM

Hi -

What happens exactly when you try to uninstall/install Chrome?

Do you have an SSD?

I agree with dickie - heat may very well be a factor especially given the green screen.

The KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR BSOD (bugcheck 0x7a) tells us that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory. 

The page file is of course on the hard drive (c:\pagefile.sys).  So, a failure severe enough for the CPU to signal shutdown occurred while trying to read data from your hard drive and load it into RAM.

A bugcheck (or STOP ERROR) is followed by 4 parms (referred to as p1, p2, p3, p4), e.g., 0x7a (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

Bugcheck 0x7a usually provides us with an additional clue in P2 -- an Exception Error Code.  Such a code contains the prefix 0xc

Many of the exception codes are I/O status codes.  One code that I often see is 0xc0000185 (0xc185) = STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR - referring to an I/O issue with the HDD or SSD.

There are several reasons that a BSOD with bugcheck 0x7a can occur.  HDD/SSD issues are at the top of the list followed by RAM, PSU, mobo or other unknown hardware failure.

If you have an HDD, I would suggest that you test your HDD by running Sea Tools for DOS, LONG test -

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics.html#post29394

If  you have an SSD, check the SSD's manufacturer support site for a firmware upgrade.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users