Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Eudora 7 and UAC popups

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Steevow

Steevow

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:05 PM

I have a windows 7 x64 machine. I installed eudora 7 on it, and I have UAC popups, both when the program launches and should I click on a link.

Other than the UAC popups Eudora 7 works fine.

I ran the compatibility troubleshooter on it and it said it applied run as administrator, but that did not solve the UAC popups.

FWIW I can't see that it is set to run as administrator.

Any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 04 May 2015 - 01:04 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:14 AM

Hi Steevow :)

From what I see, Eudora doesn't support officially Windows Vista and above, only Windows XP and below. Since the UAC was introduced in Windows Vista, it might be a compatibility issue. Did you try changing the compatibility mode of the program for it to run like on "Windows XP SP3"?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Steevow

Steevow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:46 PM

Hi Steevow :)

From what I see, Eudora doesn't support officially Windows Vista and above, only Windows XP and below. Since the UAC was introduced in Windows Vista, it might be a compatibility issue. Did you try changing the compatibility mode of the program for it to run like on "Windows XP SP3"?

Yes, I did try that.  It didn't change anything. FWIW, as far as I can tell Eudora 7 does run on Windows 7, and I have it installed on a vista machine where it is working fine, that has uac and I don't get any popups from that one.

So it's hard to understand.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:48 PM

It's not because a program runs on an OS that it means that it's officially supported :) Check on the Eudora page, the latest version is 8.0.0 and it's the Beta 9, which means it's not an offical, stable release. Plus, it's for Windows XP and below, and not above. In my opinion, it could be a problem with the program and Windows 7 since it's not supported.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Steevow

Steevow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:34 PM

It's not because a program runs on an OS that it means that it's officially supported :) Check on the Eudora page, the latest version is 8.0.0 and it's the Beta 9, which means it's not an offical, stable release. Plus, it's for Windows XP and below, and not above. In my opinion, it could be a problem with the program and Windows 7 since it's not supported.

Well, that is the eudora 8 that was a reskinned thunderbird.  Not the eudora 7 that I am using.

My understanding is that it is supposed to work, and the fact that I installed it on a vista box last weekend and it worked fine confirms that.  As you know UAC is on vista, probably identical to the UAC on windows 7.  So that I don't have popups from UAC on vista but I do on windows 7, that is the only issue.

The problem I have is confined to the UAC popups and that is the limit to the support I am trying to get today.  The program works, sends and receives emails, etc.  No problems except for the UAC popups and the fact that I had to upgrade the help engine in windows 7 to one from MS that supports the old format.

So forget about all the other aspects of "might not be supported".   I just need help with UAC.  That's it. Everything else works great.

Edited by Steevow, 15 April 2015 - 05:42 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:49 PM

I installed it on my VM running Windows 7 Professional 64-bits. On opening, I get no UAC prompts. However, I have no email account configured and having one could change something. I'll restart the VM and see if it stays like that. Also, "Run as Admnistrator" isn't checked for me, compatibility mode isn't enabled.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#7 Steevow

Steevow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:17 PM

I installed it on my VM running Windows 7 Professional 64-bits. On opening, I get no UAC prompts. However, I have no email account configured and having one could change something. I'll restart the VM and see if it stays like that. Also, "Run as Admnistrator" isn't checked for me, compatibility mode isn't enabled.

I totally believe that.

I doubt having an email acct configured will change anything.

There is something here that is more than meets the eye, in this particular system.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:18 PM

What level is your UAC set to, default?

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-change-user-account-control-uac-levels

Also, where did you download and install Eudora 7 from?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#9 Steevow

Steevow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:05 PM

What level is your UAC set to, default?

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-change-user-account-control-uac-levels

Also, where did you download and install Eudora 7 from?

Yes, set for default.  That slider is not very granular, so I didn't change it.

I have the eudora 7 installer archived.

It's no longer available from Qualcomm, mostly because of a old compaq server which failed last year and their IT department just decided to not resurrect it. There were some useful forums and knowledge base there but it's down.

Because of this the term "officially supported" is no longer valid, since they don't support anything at all, even the eudora 8 the eudora developers worked on.  That was kind of a grim replacement for eudora 7 IMHO.

But I do have the installer.

Edited by Steevow, 15 April 2015 - 07:07 PM.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:06 PM

Can you uninstall it, then download and install the Eudora 7 from Eudora.fr and see if it works? I used their installer, right-clicked on it and picked Run as Administrator to run the installation and everything worked just fine.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 Steevow

Steevow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:38 PM

Eudora_7.0_201.exe on that site.

The last release was

Eudora 7.1.0.9

which I have the installer for.

I wonder where the file on eudora.fr came from?

Well, I just downloaded it, I used chrome which claims it is somehow malicious.

Blocked it.

I recovered it, I will have to look it over.

MS Security essentials thinks it's OK.

I just uploaded it to virustotal,

SHA256: cd2bfa7f4f42b323472715020937b2cd7b24ae97845e148d30d422d4d91d0b82

File name: Setup

Detection ratio: 0 / 56

Analysis date: 2015-04-15 05:56:21 UTC ( 19 hours, 37 minutes ago )

Probably harmless! There are strong indicators suggesting that this file is safe to use.

Interesting. Wonder what chrome was complaining about? This will bear exploring.

Edited by Steevow, 15 April 2015 - 08:40 PM.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:41 PM

I can't really tell since I never used Eudora, but the file looks clean to me, Chrome blocked it but it installed correctly and I didn't notice any sign of obvious infection in my VM after.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#13 Steevow

Steevow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:51 PM

I just uploaded the last release version of eudora 7, and it has a different SHA.

I wonder what was changed and by whom? 

The copy I have came directly from the qualcomm servers in California, a number of years ago.

I will try the fr one, see what happens.

Eudora is old and is definitely showing it's age, but I have it checking 29 accounts every 10 minutes, I can migrate it to another computer by copying it's ini file and a few .pce files.

So I still use it.  I still find it the least annoying of email clients. 

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:54 PM

There's also other email clients like Outlook and Thunderbird just to name two. People annoyed by Outlook usually like Thunderbird.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#15 Steevow

Steevow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:23 PM

I use outlook and thunderbird right now. 

Heh.

I use everything. Power user.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users