Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 410 upgrades - reposted

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

XPS 410 specs: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/IihqHttip7QgzovrbG8rpyJ

I would like to use this computer for a while longer, so I want to upgrade it. The RAM has been upgraded to 4GB and the graphics card has been replaced with a Radeon HD 6450. At the time, I did not upgrade the hard disk drives and processor, but I would like to upgrade them now because I am

pressed for space and I found a good deal for an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. However, I have also found what I believe to be a good deal for an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700. 

Which one of these processors is the better deal? It may be worth noting that the Q6700 is seller refurbished. 

Q6600: http://tinyurl.com/o72rreh

Q6700: http://tinyurl.com/nzn7obc

Besides for school, I use this computer to watch anime. Often I use Potplayer with the EVR Custom Present video renderer and the Vibrance and LumaSharpen pixel shaders, but I also use the Kawaii Codec Pack with the "high" profile setting with the Intel Core 2 Duo E6300. More recently I began pointing Potplayer to the Madshi video renderer.

Would the Q6700 provide a noticeable increase in performance for the aforementioned purposes? 

As for storage, I originally intended on using the Crucial MX 100 and some other 2TB or 3TB drive, but I found the Seagate 2TB SSHD. I am thinking about pairing the Seagate 2TB SSHD with a 2TB WD Green and using data synchronization software, such as Bvckup, to synchronize the drives. Would the WD Green be okay for this or should I go for a 7200RPM drive? I am not sure whether RPM matters when transferring files between two different hard disk drives. 

Silence is important to me, which is why I originally intended on going with a solid state drive, because I watch anime. Also, do SSHDs need to be defragmented? Another reason I was going to go with a solid state drive is so I do not have to worry about fragmentation. The problem is my external drive is only 1TB, so I will not be able to synchronize my data with the internal 2TB drive once it exceeds 1TB. 

Opinions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:38 PM

@killerx525

This in response to your last post here.

I did not see anything that suggests I can overclock the CPU. The bios displays processor information but states the information cannot be edited. I suppose it cannot be overclocked, not at the hardware level anyway. I vaguely remember reading about being able to overclock using software and that it is not recommended because the changes to be reapplied every system restart.

I am not sure I understand the second part of your post. Are you saying the SSD cache will not have an affect because the same files will not be consistently accessed? Would you recommend going with a 5400RPM drive, like the WD Green, for storage? Most of the files on the drive will be HD anime, and those files should not change, except when new versions are released. Other files will be documents. You said that you have had the opportunity to use an SSHD. Would you say they are pretty quiet, quiet enough to watch movies with? The hard disk drives I have now are very, very loud, and the drives often like to seek a lot, even when the only thing I am doing is watching a movie. The drives are about 8 years old, and I have nothing to compare them to.

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 13 April 2015 - 09:45 PM.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:35 PM

G'day, overclocking software do certainly exist, although if Dell disabled the ability to overclock, then the changes made in the software will not apply. Do remember that, with overclocking, expect a lot more heat being generated from the CPU and the cooler may not be able to handle it, depending how mild the overclock is.

Yes, the SSD cache will not have an affect due to the file not being consistenly accessed. A 5400rpm like the WD Green is perfect for storage purposes, although it may be slower in transferring files over when compared to a typical 7200rpm drive, but if you don't transfer as often, than it should be fine. The SSHD is a very quiet drive, same can be said for the newer and current 7200rpm hard drives and i can certainly relate to older drives that are super noisy. I tested a 160GB Seagate drive from 2007 and it was very noisy when booting into windows and opening programs, compared to my 3TB Seagate.

I had a look at the Speecy information provided, and do you plan to migrate both the Samsung hard drives to the single SSHD? If you go this route, Windows and progams will noticeablely load quicker than your current drives (After multiple restarts) and it would be worthy upgrade. The CPU upgrade can be placed on hold for the moment as it will be the least noticeable improved performance, although you can open task manager and see if the current CPU is at near full load during certain tasks to determine whether the CPU is a worthy upgrade.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:32 PM

I guess I should update you rather than leave you in the dark. You may or may not know this (I have a thread about it on this forum), but I recently found out that I am not getting anywhere near the download speed I should be getting for my Comcast subscription. I've exhausted troubleshooting methods, and I need to have a Comcast technician come out and troubleshoot the problem. I may or may not need to pay Comcast for this. It depends on the cause of the problem and whether or not I have the technician proceed with fixing it. We'll see. For now, I will wait a bit on the drives. 

Edit: I just noticed you have the 3TB Seagate Barracuda listed in your signature. This is it, correct? How do you like it? Is it quiet? That is one of the drives I thought about using for storage because it is cheap at $85 for 3TB.

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 17 April 2015 - 06:02 PM.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 12:51 AM

Yes, that would be my hard drive linked and it is certainly quieter than my other drives like the WD Black (to which in it's defence, it is a high performance drive). 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:40 PM

I was finally able to go to Micro Center. While I was there, I found a 4TB Hitachi drive on sale. I was tempted to get the 4TB Hitachi drive, 4TB Seagate Backup Plus Fast, and a solid state drive, but I wasn't sure if I should spend that much at the moment. It amounts to around $460. I have been waiting for a portable external drive that has more than 2TB space for a while, though. I ended up sticking with the original plan for now and getting the 2TB Solid State Hybrid Drive and 3TB Seagate Barracuda. I have a 1TB external drive to which I can backup the extra 1TB of the Seagate Barracuda. It's pretty late now, so I will install the drives tomorrow.

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 19 May 2015 - 09:22 PM.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:40 AM

Hey and thanks for the update! You will not regret the purchase of the SSHD, as only last week i bought another of those and installed it for a clients desktop. It is virtually silent while being a lot quicker to boot into Windows than a typical hard drive. 

>Michael 

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:08 AM

Totally agree- SSD's are so nice.  It is hard for me to work on older computers now because I think something is wrong all the time while I am trying to ' install programs ' or ' run a diagnostic ' on my SSD it is almost instantly completed.  On my clien'ts /friends family computers it seems like it is taking forever to finish.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 21 May 2015 - 08:12 AM.

#9 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:44 AM

Downloading and installing Windows updates took 5 hours and transferring files from my external drive to the SSHD took 9 hours... This experience has me considering getting a PCI-E USB 3.0 expansion card again. Anyway, I do like the SSHD. It is certainly quieter, and the computer does boot into Windows faster.

Image_1.jpg

This is a benchmark of the drive. Compared to my old drives, which the same benchmark showed to be 30-40MB/s, that is a huge improvement. I was even able to watch HD anime while transferring 900GB of data from my external drive to the SSHD, and I did not hear either drive at all during the process even though I had my computer case open and right next to me. I did run in to a problem, though. While playing anime during the file transfer did not result in any problems, the video did temporarily lag when seeking. However, when the seeking finished and the video began playing again, the video returned to normal. I'm not sure whether this is a processor issue or disk issue. If seeking lagged because there was too much disk activity, I may want to consider separating the OS from data. I do have to jump back in a video sometimes because I missed a subtitle.

Also, I do like the SSHD, but I think I may have underestimated how much space I need. The SSHD started with 1.81TB; it now has 700GB, so I used about 1.1TB. The 3TB Seagate Barracuda will actually have about 2.727TB space. That leaves me with about 1.6TB space free. That will probably last a while, but I have a feeling I will be pressed for space again in the future. Between the SSHD and Seagate Barracuda, I am missing 500GB space courtesy of the way Windows displays storage units. I also cannot fill the drives entirely or it can result in errors, so I have less than 1.6TB to work with. I would say 1.3TB to 1.4TB.

Micro Center also has the 4TB SSHD. I was going to get that until I found out it is a 5900RPM, not 7200RPM, drive...

Other information:

I got a KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error once. There probably isn't any need to bother with this unless it occurs again.

I have not installed the Seagate Barracuda yet. It took me a while just to setup the SSHD, and I haven't even installed nor configured all of my programs yet. I only installed a few that I plan on using while taking the drives for a test run. I am going to install the Seagate Barracuda next. I will test Bvckup 2 by synchronizing the SSHD with the Seagate Barracuda. 

Tixati is slightly delayed when starting, and it often locks up when I click the plus sign to add torrent(s). Sometimes ending the process via task manager doesn't do anything, so I have to reboot the computer. I'm not sure why this happens, but I suspect it is unrelated to the drive because I haven't had any problems starting Potplayer. Potplayer does crash sometimes, but it does that on my old drives, too.

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 22 May 2015 - 03:01 AM.

#10 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:20 PM

Windows 8.1 is not recognizing the 3TB Seagate Barracuda; it doesn't appear in file explorer. The BIOS reports the 3TB Seagate Barracuda as a 750GB drive. I tried formatting the drive using the Windows 8.1 installation disc to see if Windows would recognize it then, but Windows splits the drive into two unallocated spaces: 2TB and 750GB. I partitioned the 2TB unallocated space. Afterwards, I was unable to partition the 750GB unallocated space (Windows refused it and displayed an error). I deleted the 2TB partition for now. The Windows 8.1 installation disc continues to show the drive as two unallocated spaces: 2TB and 750GB, and file explorer is still not displaying the drive. 

Edit: I recall reading somewhere that one should not defragment the Seagate SSHD. I'm pretty sure it was a Seagate employee who said this. What should I do about fragmentation on an SSHD? Should I specify specific folders for defragmenting instead of defragmenting the entire drive?

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 22 May 2015 - 05:15 PM.

#11 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:21 PM

I partitioned the drive, and Windows recognizes it now. I am not sure how to partition the other 750GB, though. Windows will not allow it.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:54 AM

This is because the disk was not converted to GPT. The only way you can use all 3TB of space is to convert the drive to GPT. You can do it either by deleting all partitions on the drive and then do the conversion using diskpart or by using partition wizard which will let you convert to GPT as long as the drive does not contain a system partition. You can also convert by deleting the partition(s) on the 3TB drive with Partition Wizard then initializing the disk as GPT. Then partition and format the drive as you like.

Backup any data you currently have on the 3TB drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 May 2015 - 08:55 AM.

#13 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:08 PM

Thanks, JohnC_21. That did the trick.

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 23 May 2015 - 10:22 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:17 AM

Your Welcome,

In regards to your other question, Windows 7 disables defrag on SSD's by default. Windows 8.1 goes about it differently on but the Seagate tech was right. Normal Defrag should be turned off. Trim should be turned on.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-defragmentation-ssd

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/39569-trim-support-ssd-check-enable-disable.html

#15 jokermaycry

jokermaycry

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:38 PM

This is because the disk was not converted to GPT. The only way you can use all 3TB of space is to convert the drive to GPT. You can do it either by deleting all partitions on the drive and then do the conversion using diskpart or by using partition wizard which will let you convert to GPT as long as the drive does not contain a system partition. You can also convert by deleting the partition(s) on the 3TB drive with Partition Wizard then initializing the disk as GPT. Then partition and format the drive as you like.

Backup any data you currently have on the 3TB drive.

By user MiniTool Partition Wizard, he could convert mbr to gpt without deleting all partitions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users