Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HWMonitor Idle Temps?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bahamut5098

Bahamut5098

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:18 PM

I've posted an image below that shows my details using HWMonitor while my system is idle. Are any of the readings abnormal for being idle? Thanks in advance.

http://postimg.org/image/5a7sn1bdd/

Specs:
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3
4GB Ram
Video: NVidia GeForce GTS 250

Edited by hamluis, 13 April 2015 - 08:47 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:14 AM

looks like the gts 250 is running a little warm, but that very well may be normal. you can use evga precisionx as a manual fan adjustment tool if you would like instead of letting the default fan adjustment control the RPMs . I had to do that with my old 9800gt, that thing runs in the middle 60s by default, so i used the precision X to adjust fan speed to around 59 % and the temperature went down to 58 c idle.

the cpu and hard drvie temperaures look like they are in a nice range, low 40s C.

there is one internal temperature that is worrisome, that 82 centigrade. it is kind of non descript about what it is exactly, but judging by all the other temps, where oh where could tempin2 be?  it just might be the chipset/northbridge on the motherboard. those do get hot, which is why they have a heat spreader on it or sometimes even a heatpipe running thru a heatsink to dissipate the heat from it.

you can get speccy from the download section here, it will give you the motherboard temperature reading which would be the chipset i was thinking about.

Edited by synergy513, 14 April 2015 - 07:19 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 Bahamut5098

Bahamut5098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:55 PM

synergy513,

Thank you for the excellent reply. I tried your suggestions and I set my fan speed to 59%, bringing the temp of my GTS 250 to 58 degrees Celsius while idle. There's obviously a slight increase in fan noise, but nothing too bothersome. Also, Speccy is showing my motherboard temp at 35 degrees Celsius while idle. 

Thanks again, and I think in the future I'm going to get video cards with excellent cooling fans already attached.

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:07 PM

the new maxwell generation cards from nvidia are thoroughly cool . most OEMs have the standard reference cooling editions and then the proprietary cooling apparatus, as well as pre-set overclock schemes. i think the 960s are all the rage nowadays, price/performance/energy consumption  ratio is the best, from what i read.

there will be a new generation of AMD cards released soon also, and that will presumably shake up the market and influence price structures.

also, if speccy is giving different temperatures than HWmonitor, i would trust speccy first. at least speccy isn't vague, example given "tempin2", what the ....bleep.

#5 Bahamut5098

Bahamut5098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:28 PM

Okay, good info, synergy513.

I just stress tested with a couple minutes of Left 4 Dead 2, and my GTS 250 temps went up to 81 degrees Celsius, with my fans peaking at 90% (set in my fan curve.)

How does the following look for a fan curve?

http://postimg.org/image/g78mti6tb/

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:11 PM

that looks like speedfan, i haven't used that too much before. i think the gts 250 is a rebranded 9800gtx, which uses the old g92 gpu, same as my 9800gt. i think its contemporary equivalent is the r7 250 or gt 650. it is manageable, but the internal/application settings have to be just that...managed. the bright side is that your power supply that is furnishing its 140 watt demands would prolly be ok with the previous generation gtx 660 kepler.  i think most of those 660s only require one 6 pin power lead. the newer 960s are 125 watt i believe and are considerably better performing than the 660 and around the same budget.

there are a few things you can do to optimize the cooling of your gts 250. next time you power down, you can remove it from the slot and do a thorough inpection/removal of anything obstructing airflow over the heatsink, they get clogged quite commonly with dust and debris. the other thing you can do isn't recommended without diligent preparation, and that is removing the shroud and heatsink/fan and remove the old compound from atop the gpu chip...then apply a  small amount of trusty arctic silver 5 to the gpu chip itself and re-assembling it. i would do that as a last resort though. but definiltely check for airflow obstructions. In the end though, i think that generation of cards were normally operating quite warm by todays standards anyway.

Edited by synergy513, 14 April 2015 - 03:19 PM.

#7 Bahamut5098

Bahamut5098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:25 PM

I did a whole dusting of my computer today, and took the video card out, dusting the fan itself with a couple qtips followed by short bursts of compressed air. Very hard to get all of it but it seems like it's running fine.

My computer (at least the motherboard) is getting to the 10-year mark soon, I think. So.. I may upgrade with a new case, video card and mobo in a couple years.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:54 PM

Not sure of your case, can you add a case fan they seem to help video cards which normally such hot air.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 Bahamut5098

Bahamut5098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:59 PM

My case is fairly old, an Antec Solution SLK1650B Black Steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 350W.

The front is cracked slightly and the power button snapped off after a recent move, so I'd like a new case sooner than later. Don't know if the case above would work with a fan, but I think what I have now is sufficient. I recently put in a 212 Evo on the CPU. What a beast that was to install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users