Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Out Of My League

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 altjira

altjira

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 02 July 2006 - 01:03 AM

I used to run a clean, well organized box with multiple boot XP and Fedora and SuSE. I didn't use the Linux as much as I wanted to, but now my wife and her friends and the teenage daughter have it so befowled with instant messenger programs, IE toolbars, P2P clients, media players... wait, I'll stop. You've heard this before, right?

I am an experienced home computer user who begrudging took up msdos (all those different line commands to learn!) and started using something other than the Command Prompt in Win 3.11 about the time that 95 came out. But work dragged me kicking and screaming into MS serfdom, and I kept using it at home because I knew the tricks better. I don't remember when I first lost an entire harddrive to a virus, I detected my first spyware in 2001, got phishing sites shut down a little later, have engaged in a little 419 baiting, and get my RSS feeds from Bruce Schneier, EPIC, EFF, PRCH, and SANS, to name a few. So I've been aware of malware for a while.

But the shear volume of what has gotten in at home has me overwhelmed, not to mention the hopelessness of trying to explain, once again, why a free smilies program download, or anything that has the word "assistant" in it, might not be a good idea. It has had one positive side effect - I now actually boot into Linux more often than not now.

But now I need help - the computer has slowed down sooo much (just like I've been warning it would!) that my wife is getting wise and has read, without my prompting, a couple of EULAs! The trouble is, I've got to come up with enough of a fix that she won't notice that I also swapped out the Pentium 4E and mobo with the Duron 1.6 GHz in my so-called "junker" Linux webserver and special projects box. So I'm off to post my amazingly long HijackThis log!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 02 July 2006 - 02:11 AM

I'm smiling.
Very entertaining introduction & HJT log.
You're certainly welcome to any measure of control (for the inevitable chaos
a multi-user configuration like yours can lead to) information here may help provide you with.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:20 PM

Welcome to BC!
All those fun/happy/help applications can cause major problems that is certain.
Maybe a "no download" rule would help!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users