Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes can't update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 brseavey

brseavey

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:08 PM

If I try to run Malwarebytes it spends 7+ minutes updating never gets to scan. My license is good to July

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:10 PM

Hi brseavey :)

Did you try reinstalling Malwarebytes yet? Usually, resintalling it fixes a lot of issues. I suggest you to uninstall it from the Control Panel, and then run the mbam-clean.exe executable to clean the remnants of the install. Once done, restart your computer, download a new installer for it and install it. Then see if your scan still hangs on the database update.

Link on how to fully uninstall Malwarebytes: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/122284-mbam-clean-removal-process/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:51 PM

The above by Aura was often noted as a problem when a new version was released, and it is still the first and easiest method.

Please make sure that you follow directions fully.

I would like you to Copy and Paste the results from 2 very quick checks.

1 / Please download Rkill (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com) to your desktop. (Delete any old version if installed)

• There are 2 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.
  • You only need to get one of these to run, not all of them. You may get warnings from your antivirus about this tool, ignore them or shutdown your antivirus.
  • RKill.exe: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/10/
  • iExplore.exe (renamed rKill.exe): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/11/
  • The program usually runs no longer than 2 minutes and only 1 version needs to run.
  • If it will not run, delete the download and try the other link

Please Copy / Paste the small log back here.

2 / Download Screen317 Security Check from Here or Here and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt
  • Please Copy/Paste the contents of that document.

Note 1:: If any security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to (it is 100% safe)
Note 2. If you receive UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED! message, (or similar) restart computer and Security Check should run

My license is good to July

Just briefly, did you purchase the newer 1 year license, or the older lifetime license (or other version) ??

Thank You.

#4 brseavey

brseavey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:09 PM

Reinstalling MBAM fixed it. Thank-you

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:11 PM

No problem brseavey, my pleasure :) If you experience more issues with Malwarebytes in the future, just know that they also have a support forum at the link below.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/

You can post in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help section if you have any questions or issues with the program :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,586 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:15 PM

FYI for anyone else reading this topic. When following the instructions posted above, you will be prompted to redownload the current version of Malwarebytes (v2.1.4). For those still using v1.75, you can redownload from this link.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:50 AM

SHOULD THIS TOPIC BE CLOSED???

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:34 AM

SHOULD THIS TOPIC BE CLOSED???

Normally topics are not closed unless there are other similar topics or the topic is in MRL area.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,586 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:38 AM

As a general rule Bleeping Computer does not close (lock) topics in this forum. An exception to that rule is malware related topics...we close topics when a member has been asked to (and does) start a new topic in the Malware Removal Logs forum and posts the required logs. Another exception is when we refer members to post their questions or comments in an existing discussion topic such as those for various ransomware infections.

#10 Genex17

Genex17

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:21 AM

Hi brseavey :)

Did you try reinstalling Malwarebytes yet? Usually, resintalling it fixes a lot of issues. I suggest you to uninstall it from the Control Panel, and then run the mbam-clean.exe executable to clean the remnants of the install. Once done, restart your computer, download a new installer for it and install it. Then see if your scan still hangs on the database update.

Link on how to fully uninstall Malwarebytes: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/122284-mbam-clean-removal-process/

That advice worked when MBAM Pro crashed on update. :) I don't know why this happens, but carefully following the instructions, I'm back in business.

Gene  (using Windows 10)

Edited by Genex17, 21 August 2016 - 12:22 AM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,586 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:09 AM

When you're having issues with Malwarebytes, one of the solutions generally suggested by the Malwarebytes Help Desk to try first is to uninstall/reinstall using mbam-clean.exe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users