Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast Free or Bitdefender Free?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Robo11

Robo11

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:19 PM

So, I'm choosing a free antivirus software to use on my daily driver (I'm a vary advanced user) and I'm trying to decide between Bitdefender free and avast free.

First, I've heard that Bitdefender is dead/unmaintained/buggy?

Also, I've heard avast is kind if shady, I've heard rumors that when you call tech support they pretend there are problems on your computer to get you to pay money, and that it downloads malware on the users pc (Just rumors I've heard, Not accusing them of anything).

So which do you think I should go with? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:23 PM

Hi Robo11 :)

First, I've heard that Bitdefender is dead/unmaintained/buggy?

It's false. Bitdefender is still actively developped and have quite a good share of the Antivirus market. About the buggy part, it's down to the user's experience. Personally, most of the experiences I had with Bitdefender were quite bad. It was buggy, hogging resources, hard to uninstall, etc. But for some, it might just be the "best Antivirus" they ever used.

Also, I've heard avast is kind if shady, I've heard rumors that when you call tech support they pretend there are problems on your computer to get you to pay money, and that it downloads malware on the users pc (Just rumors I've heard, Not accusing them of anything).

It's false as well. There's no reputable Antivirus company that would do such a thing. Also, avast! forums offers malware removal assistance in the same kind as BleepingComputer, and there's also UNITE members helping on its forums, so I really doubt that this would ever happen.

If you're torn between these two products, since both of them are free, I would suggest you to give them both a try (one after the other, not at the same time) and see for yourself which one you like better. My personal choice goes to avast!, but that's just me. You might also want to consider quietman's advice when it comes to choosing an Antivirus product.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/#entry2316629

I also noticed that you posted the same thread multiple times, I'll report them so they get junked, I imagine you experienced a bug on your issue that caused the thread to be posted multiple times, no worries, it happens :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Robo11

Robo11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:33 PM

Thank you for the info!
And yes, the page was not loading and I hit the post button a few times, sorry about that :(

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:34 PM

If it happens again in the future, open a new page, and refresh the section, then you'll see if your thread was effectively posted or not :) And no problem, my pleasure.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:45 PM

Keep in mind that all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free...see Has the antivirus industry gone mad?!
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:58 PM

Bitdefender free is not dead. Even though the version number stays the same, when looking at the logs there have been program updates. Bitdefender Free, IMHO, is one of the better free antiviruses. There are never any nags and I consider it a true install it and forget it antivirus. The only drawback is you need to create a Bitdefender account and login to have the antivirus active. After Bitdefender I recommend Panda Free. It has very good detection and no ads or pop-ups when you go to settings and turn off Panda News in settings. Edit: Panda may ask to install a Toolbar. Opt out of that.

Avast is not shady but the latest version uses a VM called NG and that can slow a computer down, especially if the computer is a low-end one. Also because avast currently uses System Restore to create the VM, it will automatically alot anywhere from 25% to 50% or your hard drive for System Restore and it can delete your Restore Points. This is supposed to be fixed in the new version coming out where NG will not be uisng System Restore.

Your shady comment may be related to avast support which uses a third party for that. Always use caution when you allow anyone to take control of your computer or try and sell you a support package. Also, be careful with the Grimefighter component of avast. It is a System Optimizer which can cause more problems then what it is supposed to fix. Read about it here. Look through the posts and make your own decision. You can do a custom install with avast and only allow the file and web shield which is enough for protecting your computer. You can also opt out of NG when doing a custom install.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=167422.0

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=166697.0

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=162445.0

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=168090.0

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=163039.0

https://forum.avast.com/?topic=161203

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=167379.msg1190704#msg1190704

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 April 2015 - 02:23 PM.

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:07 PM

I had to make this choice recently and after trying bitdefender first settled with avast. Bitdefender free doesn't seem to give the user enough options for me to have confidence that it is doing everything properly, it has something like three buttons in it's interface and nothing more. It's certainly good for performance but I personally didn't like it. I tried avast second and found it to work better, gave it some initial tests and found it did well at scanning (there is a mock virus test file called spycar which i used) and that infact it even managed to temporarily terminate a connection ot particular pages when i went to download something it thought to be infected, both of which seemed like it had some pretty effective protective power. It does have a problem with making little pop-ups from the system tray (usually advertising either their business edition or giving links to online news articles which have recommeneded avast) but they aren't too annoying. It's other problem is that some of it's optional features you can choose from during installation seem pretty pointless and a bit junk like, but these few un-necessary bits(grimefighter,browser cleanup, secureline vpn, software updater) are easy enough to decline and can be turned off by the user later even if they are all installed initially.

Robo11, my other main tip is that an antivirus alone is not enough. There are other things you need to do to keep your computer secure:

Having a second opinion scanner installed for weekly scanning (like malwarebytes free) is a good thing to do.

As is making sure that you use an up-to-date browser with it's plugins (especially flash, java and silverlight)either fully deactivated or set to "click to play" or "ask to activate", a script blocker is another good step if you are happy to have to make a few extra clicks to enable functions on some pages on the internet.

Setting up window file explorer's "folder options" so it shows "full file extensions even for known file types" is a good thing to do as it lets you check that when you download a file which claims to be an image, a video, an office document or a zip archive that it is not an exe or scr file behind a double extension.

And as your last line of defence always make backups, a few system images to have a copy of your system which you can recover to a good state then one they are made keep backing up your personal files on regular occasions to removable devices or cloud storage accounts.

Edited by rp88, 14 April 2015 - 05:13 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:13 PM

Bitdefender is simple and easy to use which is one reason a lot of users have chosen it. avast keeps adding more and more features, increasing the amount of bloat and configuration settings.

#9 Robo11

Robo11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:50 PM

Thanks all for your help! I decided to go with bitdefender, and have been vary happy with it.

Again thanks for all of your help.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:45 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users