Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

downloaded video files not play the video portion (mp4)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:50 PM

Some videos made using an online system, screencasts, now downloaded will not show the video component when played on the computer.  Windows Media Player 12 had played them just fine when they were online, but now using Windows Media Player 12 with the same video downloaded, only the Media Player's visualizations show but not the recorded video portion.  Why or what can I do?

Windows Vista
Windows Media Player 12
Downloaded videos as MP4 (actually onto external portable hard disk).

Edited by cafejose, 13 April 2015 - 12:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,647 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:24 PM

Download CCCP Codec Pack. After install make sure you reset user settings. Reboot and you should be able to play MP4's using the Classic Media Player included in the Codec Pack. This codec pack will let you play just about any media file. Don't worry about the Russian Looking page. The site is legit.

• Go to Start -> Programs -> Combined Community Codec Pack and open the Settings manager.
  • Press "Next" to get to the second page.
  • Under "Special Settings", check "Reset All Settings".
  • Press Apply.
  • Select Yes to the question, and follow through the Settings until Apply is hit again.

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:16 AM

JohnC_21

Thanks for the help.  I took another route instead of trying CCCP.  The portable version of VLC from portableapps.com/apps plays most of the downloaded videos --- still one more video to test.  The VLC is installed?  (UNPACKED) to a usb flash drive and  within PortableApps application launcher, and these downloaded videos are in a folder on the computer's hard disk.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,647 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:30 AM

Thanks for the update. Yes, VLC is another good media player that includes codecs to play many media files including DVD's.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:07 AM

When they were playing online the videos probably worked through a flash or html5 system and played in the browser, when you downloaded them you downloaded some mp4 files which must be played through a media player program. What has happened here is that the mp4 file format has within it something called a codec, another layer inside whcih allows videos to be more effectively compressed so the file does not take up too much storage space. There are many types of codec and any given computer is likely not to recognise all of them, what is happening here is that your computer does not have the information it needs to "decide" the video information withint the codec but it is able to "decode" the audio because there are far less ways in which audio can be compressed so most machines recognise all of them. One solution would be to find the particular video codec needed for these files and install it, but you don't know which codec that is and they can be tricky to find, and it might not work well anyway. A more effective solution is to download VLC media player, it has most of the codecs in existence built into it so will play almost any video without problems.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:29 PM

rp88,

When I played the video/s from the site, they were shown playing in Windows Media Player (that is, during the initial recording checking -  I do not remember how they appeared what they were playing in while checking the online creation process, so maybe you are right).  The video on the site would play as long as Java run environment was installed, but that site would not allow the videos to play without java being installed.  Also, one particular file would not even download to my computer without JAVA being installed on the machine.  This seems strange.  The site I used was screencast-o-matic, who did not yet respond to my question.

#7 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:16 PM

JohnC_21

Thanks for the help.  I took another route instead of trying CCCP.  The portable version of VLC from portableapps.com/apps plays most of the downloaded videos --- still one more video to test.  The VLC is installed?  (UNPACKED) to a usb flash drive and  within PortableApps application launcher, and these downloaded videos are in a folder on the computer's hard disk.

Thanks for the update. Yes, VLC is another good media player that includes codecs to play many media files including DVD's.

Another software product choice alternative is SMPlayer from PortableApps.com, unpacked into the portableApps program launcher.  Both VLC and SMPlayer played all the downloaded MP4 videos.  Their audio and video portions worked.  No need to rely on Windows Media Player and wonder about the meaning and method of downloading "codecs".

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,647 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:29 AM

Here is a good explanation of codecs. Programs like VLC install them when you install the main program or you can download them separately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users