Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Four ESENT, 474 errors every minute - SRUDB.dat

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mshelley86

Mshelley86

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:33 PM

Hi,

I have a problem with my PC. When I look in Event Viewer, I have at least four errors every minute. The source is 'ESENT' and the event ID is always 474. The details are always similar to this:

svchost (1744) SRUJet: The database page read from the file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SRU\SRUDB.dat" at offset 27664384 (0x0000000001a62000) (database page 6753 (0x1A61)) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes failed verification due to a page checksum mismatch.  The stored checksum was [0476c0006e696268] and the computed checksum was [00001a6103494ea6].  The read operation will fail with error -1018 (0xfffffc06).  If this condition persists then please restore the database from a previous backup.  This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

I've been reading a few posts on this forum and others which mention the above error but feel I need more specific advice. I'm not really experiencing any major issues, just odd behaviour and general explorer crashes every few days or so.

A lot of the references I've found to the above error point to a hardware failure. I have recently upgraded my PC, replacing the motherboard, CPU, RAM and Graphics card. I've run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool which says there are no issues.

Is anyone familiar with this error? How can I determine whether it's hardware related?

Many thanks,

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:27 PM

Welcome,

The best diagnostic I know for checking on HDD health is the utility program Seatools for windows. This is free and available from Seagate.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

To test your RAM I recommend

http://www.memtest86.com/

More tools are available if you have not discovered your problem after running these tests.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 paultomasi

paultomasi

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

I had 250 of these errors over the space of 7 days. After stopping and disabling the service I deleted the database which has since been recreated. Keeping an eye on this for the moment.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:23 AM

If neither of these suggestions resolves this issue please do the following.

Please run System File Checker.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log click/tap on File Explorer, select the drive which Windows is installed on (this usually is the C: drive), click/tap on Windows, then Logs, then CBS.  If there are more than one log you can identify the log you want by the date and time it was run.  

Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 paultomasi

paultomasi

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

Thank you for your interest in this topic dc3.

My PC-related problems are very complex. They started about a fortnight ago when my SSD just suddenly died while unattended and my PC rebooted with a "Missing Operating System..." message. My SSD is now inaccessible by any methods. At the same time, my RAID 1 'broke' and this was a massive concern. Fortunately, my 'Users' folder was located on the RAID set resulting in very little data loss (save for a few things I had dumped into the root folder).

Both the SSD and the two 3TB WD HDDs (configured as RAID 1) are relatively new and therefore covered by warranty. An RMA has already been issued for the SSD which I still have in my possession so that I can exhaust every possibility of retrieving any remaining personal files.

I have since stripped down and rebuilt my PC testing every component and cable - cleaning and re-seating all parts and renewing all thermal pastes and fans.

At the moment, I have re-installed Windows 10 onto a HDD as my primary boot device and purchased a matching WD HDD so that I can copy my personal files from my RAID set as a temporary backup so that I can investigate the RAID failure.

In the meantime, I am continually battling issues relating to Windows 10's telemetry and performance. I am currently investigating start-up services using SysInternal's tools and Microsoft's Windows Performance Analysis toolkit.

I have backed up all my personal files onto the new WD HDD and re-attached my RAID drives and as suspected, all data was wiped from the RAID set however, not knowing for sure whether data was being written to both HDDs during this re-build, I separated the drives for further analysis only to find their Unigue IDs were the same. Not knowing whether or not this is a feature of RAID 1 I am set to investigate further before manually changing one the drive's Unique ID before re-testing the RAID.

Bringing us full-circle to this current error: Event 474 SRUDB.DAT - and which has seemed to have gone away since applying the fix in my previous post.

Once I have completed a second boot trace I will check SFC however, I'm always weary of whether SFC and/or DISM mucks around with any settings, preferences, registry entries or Group Policy options as part of their invocations. It might be a case of 'suck it and see', I know. Trouble is, it takes me about 3 months to finely tune my PC and none of it is scripted - I keep meaning to but for years I still haven't managed to get around to writing a batch script despite my expertise in this field.

My immediate issue at this very moment is EXTREMELY slow start-up and to some extent, poor performance. At first glace, this appears to be HDD-related with HDD maxing out at 100% for minutes at a time.

I am wondering whether all these issues are inter-related and whether I can track down the cause or causes before a final rebuild. Of course, at some point I will replace the primary HDD with an SSD and rebuild my RAID.

Apologies for the very lengthy reply.

Edited by paultomasi, 12 December 2017 - 03:38 PM.

#6 paultomasi

paultomasi

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

Dear dc3. Thank you for your patience.

Scan result of SFC /SCANNOW

sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

Password messaged to you.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:02 PM

Press the Windows key.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

In the menu select Command Prompt (Admin)

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Restart the computer to complete the repair.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 paultomasi

paultomasi

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:41 PM

Dear dc3, thank you for your patience once again.

DISM results:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.16299.15

Image Version: 10.0.16299.98

The component store is repairable.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

[==========================100.0%==========================] The component store is repairable.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.

Password: Please re-use previous password.

Edited by paultomasi, 14 December 2017 - 12:23 AM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:16 AM

Did this resolve the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users