Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Goes Black After Turning On Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BeachGaBulldog

BeachGaBulldog

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:34 AM

My laptop screen turns black right after I turn it on. I don't even get to the Windows screen most of the time. I hooked it up to an external computer screen and get a picture if I do get past Windows screen, and I just had a new screen put on 6 months ago.  I have looked online and seen some info about possibly the blacklight or inverter is messed up. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:50 AM

If I read this correctly it seems as if even on another monitor it has a bit of an issue.  Have you tried getting into safe mode as you boot up?  Try tapping F8 repeatedly as it boots, if it works in safe mode that would rule out a hardware issue.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:36 AM

If it works on an external monitor - and you've already replaced the screen anyway - then you've already got your answer.

The fact that is still doesn't work immediately after post on an external monitor and only shows up once the system boots into Windows shows that your hardware is not properly working - a normal monitor - even an external one - shows a display right after the system is turned on.   

Backlight/inverter issues would've been covered when you got the screen replaced.   

Does it behave the same way regardless of power source?  Try turning your laptop on with just the battery as the power source and just the ac adapter as your power source.   

If it behaves the same way, you can rule out power issues to the monitor. 

Then - as I suspect the problem is - you'll have to replace the graphics card, or if it's integrated onto the motherboard, then you'll have to replace the motherboard. 

Windows doesn't control the output of the monitor, it only receives it and can tweak the way it looks with user input.  Going down that road won't do you any good. 

Edited by dudeage, 13 April 2015 - 09:38 AM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:52 AM

My laptop screen turns black right after I turn it on. I don't even get to the Windows screen most of the time. I hooked it up to an external computer screen and get a picture "if I do get past Windows screen", and I just had a new screen put on 6 months ago.  I have looked online and seen some info about possibly the blacklight or inverter is messed up. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you clear up the the bold area above to me it seems as if there is still somewhat of an issue!

Edited by OldPhil, 13 April 2015 - 09:52 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users