Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Virus Announcement

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:07 AM

Hi Everyone

I just received a message from a friend about a new virus,,,,,,if you already know about it then all well & good but if not then please take heed

In the coming days, DO NOT open any message regardless of who sent
it to you with an attachment called:
BLACK MUSLIM IN THE WHITE HOUSE.
It is a virus that opens an Olympics torch that burns the whole
hard disk of your computer.
Directions: You should send this message to all of your contacts.
It is better to receive this e-mail 2 dozen times than to
receive the virus and open it.
If you receive a message called BLACK MUSLIM IN THE WHITE HOUSE
even if sent by a friend, do not open and shut down your machine
immediately.

It is the worst virus ever announced by CNN. it has been
classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever.
This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee.
There is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus destroys
the Zero Sector of your hard disk, where vital information function
is stored.

Verified by snopes.com <http://snopes.com/> < http://snopes.com/>

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
signature database 10027 (20140701) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com/                                           Best Regards,Kwik

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:10 AM

Hi,

this is a well-known hoax, that has been going around the internet for a while: http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/whitehouse.asp

There is no such virus. That being said not opening email attachments from emails that you are not expecting or whose sender you don't know is always good practice.

regards
myrti
If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:13 AM

Hello there,

To be honest, it looks like one of those "chain spam" mails to me.

I would disregard the mail in my case.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:13 AM

That's an old hoax. See info in link below.

Black in the White House Hoax | Virus Profile & Definition | McAfee Inc.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:18 AM

Wow, this message is really old. I recall when the term "Olympics torch" was actually used and meant something. Now it's "legacy" word. Also, the Wikipedia article for "Olympic torch" shows emails that "matches" the one you posted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Torch_%28hoax%29

Edited by Aura., 13 April 2015 - 07:19 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:53 AM

This goes back to 2010 and again the identical message was sent out in 2012.

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS E-MAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS, And ask them to PASS IT ON! 

THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY SNOPES. 

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/mailserver.asp<http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/mailserver.asp 

and

URGENT!!! PLEASE CIRCULATE to your friends, family and contacts. 

In the coming days, DO NOT open any message with an attachment called: BLACK MUSLIM IN THE WHITE HOUSE, regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus that opens an Olympics torch that burns the whole hard disk C of your computer. 

Directions: You should send this message to all of your contacts. It is better to receive this e-mail 25 times than to receive the virus and open it. If you receive a message called BLACK MUSLIM IN THE WHITE HOUSE even if sent by a friend, do not open, and shut down your machine immediately. It is the worst virus announced by CNN. This new virus has been discovered recently it has been classified by Microsoft as the virus most destructive ever. 
This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee.. There is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the hard disk, where vital information function is stored.
http://www.satandpcguy.com/forum/showthread.php?21838-Virus-Hoax-BLACK-MUSLIM-IN-THE-WHITE-HOUSE

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:21 AM

Yeah but it's the first time she heard about it. I think OP did exactly the right thing and ask about it at BC. Because we know the experts here are going to know all about stuff like this.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:57 PM

Yes, the right thing was done by posting it here. She now knows it is a hoax AND should she receive anything like this in the future she knows how to find out if it is true or a hoax.

Not everyone knows how to find out and it is up to us to educate them so they can look it up next time.

All of us were new to these types of things at one time. We learned over the years how to verify. It is our turn to teach others what we know.

newbleeping, I did the same thing when I was very new to the internet.

My aunt sent me an email about a new virus which would destroy the hard drive.

OH NO, I have to warn people. Sent an email to them about it. One was to my computer mentor/guru, who replied back that it was a hoax. He linked to snopes.com which is how I found out about that site. Since then I always check those things out there. If I don't see it at Snopes a search will find it somewhere.

These things usually include what the one above does: a reference to CNN calling it the worst virus ever. And as with it, sometimes Microsoft is mentioned. They are include to give it an air of legitimacy even though CNN and Microsoft did no such thing.

Also lending "legitimacy" is the mention of McAfee (or whoever) discovering the virus "yesterday".

I have also seen them say verified by snopes.com, which does verify them as hoaxes. The only thing I can think of for mentioning Snopes is so those receiving it WON'T look for themselves.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 April 2015 - 04:30 PM.
edit to add 2 more points and to correct a spelling error

#9 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,622 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:59 PM

Yeah but it's the first time she heard about it. I think OP did exactly the right thing and ask about it at BC. Because we know the experts here are going to know all about stuff like this.

+1

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:46 PM

Spreading a hoax is just about as bad as spreading a virus.

Reference from Norton to back up previous statement.

Not Just Harmless Fun - The Real Dangers of Hoaxes

Virus hoaxes are not real viruses, by definition, but that doesn't mean they don't have negative effects. In fact, virus hoaxes can be quite damaging in a number of different ways.

First, it is quite possible that a hoax may end up damaging your computer. The email itself won't have caused the damage. Instead, the email will have convinced you to damage your own computer, as my story about the the jdbgmgr.exe email demonstrates. The folks in Jerry Bryan's church were ready to remove files from their computer that they in fact did not need to remove. They were fortunate that they really didn't need the file in question, but what about next time? What if the hoax author had more malicious intentions and had instructed gullible recipients to remove a key system file or directory?

Edited by Kilroy, 13 April 2015 - 09:12 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:26 PM

newbleeping...it's not uncommon to see an old hoax resurface from time to time and circulate via email notices from friends and relatives.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:49 AM

Spreading a hoax is just about as bad as spreading a virus.

Reference from Norton to back up previous statement.

Not Just Harmless Fun - The Real Dangers of Hoaxes

Virus hoaxes are not real viruses, by definition, but that doesn't mean they don't have negative effects. In fact, virus hoaxes can be quite damaging in a number of different ways.

First, it is quite possible that a hoax may end up damaging your computer. The email itself won't have caused the damage. Instead, the email will have convinced you to damage your own computer, as my story about the the jdbgmgr.exe email demonstrates. The folks in Jerry Bryan's church were ready to remove files from their computer that they in fact did not need to remove. They were fortunate that they really didn't need the file in question, but what about next time? What if the hoax author had more malicious intentions and had instructed gullible recipients to remove a key system file or directory?

Exactly.......always check before posting.

I know that the OP had the best intentions but ...

This message was copied here from an email and presented as fact . Anyone receiving mail that looks like a chain message, and contains  links or images should be very  suspicious.

The "news" should be checked via Google or other search engine. 2 seconds on Google confirms the hoax and the fact it is many years old.

The email copied here contains URL's .........  they could lead anywhere and are often used to infect machines with drive by downloads.

It may say "Snopes" but those links could be a Crypto download site.

Email messages like this often contain hidden .gifs and images that lead to malware sites and infected content.

Many times in the past "hoax" and joke messages have been the vector for delivering worms and trojans, they spread like wildfire because  "it is on the internet, it MUST be true".

They say that Linux and Mac systems don't need antivirus .......... this is why in many ways those systems are more dangerous than  Windows, the malware gets sent around the internet via users that have no way of seeing the malware they pass on.

People blindly passing on infected messages/images/links via email and social media. 

( I know, I have a sister that uses Mac and is forever sending infected garbage to people. )

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:06 AM

Andrei, if someone post a direct link to an active malware or a malicious website, usually a Moderator will edit the links so they aren't active (change them to hxxp from http), so there's no need to worry about that, since usually they are pretty fast on that :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#14 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:29 AM

Andrei, if someone post a direct link to an active malware or a malicious website, usually a Moderator will edit the links so they aren't active (change them to hxxp from http), so there's no need to worry about that, since usually they are pretty fast on that :)

Aha, that is okay here agreed,  but the type of message is all to often read and passed on without a second thought , which causes problems world wide.

Hence   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573186/nearly-one-million-new-malware-threats-were-released-online-every-day-in-2014/?p=3680502

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:44 AM

Aha, that is okay here agreed,  but the type of message is all to often read and passed on without a second thought , which causes problems world wide.

Through personal email and social media....not from forums such as this.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users