Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Labs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Google Labs (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you use any labs in Google?

1. Yes (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. No (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

Which of the following Google services do you use/like the most?

1. Gmail (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. Google Checkout (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Google Earth (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. Google PageCreator (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Google Spreadsheets (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Google Video (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Google Maps (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

8. Google Desktop (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Google Personal Homepage (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

10. Google Notebook (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:16 PM

How many of use Google Labs? And what do you use the most?

I just recently signed up for the Google PageCreator and GoogleCheckout.

I love the PageCreator (though it could be a little more advance).

However, the GoogleCheckout, has it's pros and cons:

pros:
  • linked directly to my bank account (no seperator account like paypal, where you have to wait to transfer money)
  • quick
  • promotions! :thumbsup:
  • easy interface
cons:
  • if you lend someone your e-mail password they have access to your credit
  • not enough sites use it yet (waiting for ebay, and newegg)
Personally I think the GoogleCheckout has a lot of potential, but currently isn't ready to take Paypal away.

What makes me really attracted to payal (even though I can't use it until I'm 18) is the mutual funds. Where I can use my money in my paypal account and earn about 4.7% a month on my money.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:40 PM

if you lend someone your e-mail password they have access to your credit

Wow yeah thats dangerous. They will need to make it have a different pass to use it.

They dont want to take on paypal unless they think they can blow it out of the water in a short amount of time.

Google and paypal are helping each other a lot and so google does not want to make ebay mad.

I think paypal charges to much to let you recieve money. The 3 day wait to transfer to the bank is agravating too.

Gmail is the best email out their.

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:44 PM

Charges to receive money in paypal? Hm... never had any charges, maybe because I only receive money from my checking account. Anyways..

Like you said the 3 day wait is murder, especially when I don't have enough to buy something on ebay in my paypal account and the bidding ends in 2days. :thumbsup:

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:10 AM

Yeah thats how paypal makes its money. When a seller recieves money paypal chrages a fee. Their is a way to get around it I think. They have to pay with a certain form of payment which one I am not sure. Its either a credit card or their bank.

The wait is really bad when you sell a lot of moneys worth of items and cant get the money to ship them or go get the items and you have to make them wait or you have to borrow or even take out a short loan at your bank.

For 1.00 you can draw it out instantly though at your local 24 hour bank machine(ATM)

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 02 July 2006 - 08:11 AM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:05 PM

Most applications in Googlelabs begin with a simple application to which new features are added as they are tested. One case in point is the new Google spreadsheet, which has basic functionality and no doubt will be improved in the future, just as Gmail has had features added.
Good poll question!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 nyiddle

nyiddle

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:21 AM

I think Gmail takes the cake, because not only can you use it for emailing (and it works well too) but you can also use it for storage. Despite that it's 10mb at a time max, if you have important documents and you're reformatting, you can send the document to yourself so you can access it after formatting.

I've considered getting into programming to make something that'll take a big file and split it up into 10mb increments, and that way you can upload the big file in the 10mb increments, but then after you've uploaded it you re-use the program on the computer you're transferring to and it puts every part of the file back together so it becomes a big file again. Of course, the Google Hard-drive idea would be in use here also.

If anyone thinks this idea has potential and they have some sort of a experience in programming, please feel free to PM me.

Posted Image

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:15 AM

I use the mail and mapping a lot,but we could only pick one.
Just a reminder to always be extremely cautious with any form of electronic transmission of personal and financial info......
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users