Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to start Laptop

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 terryco

terryco

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:59 AM

My Sons Emachine E627  with Windows 7 Ultimate will no longer start up. He asked me to have a look. I can get into the bios and have changed the boot order to boot from a cd, which works occasionally. I tried System restore and the last restore point was last July when it worked ok.but the restore never worked. In Startup Repair i get A Hardware problem is preventing Windows from starting. Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically and i get these. problem signatures. (1)  6.1.766.16385 (2) The same (3) Unknown (4) 85 (5) Auto Failover (6) 1 (7) Bad Disc OS version 6.1.7601.2.1.0.2561 locale id 1033. If i try Safemode (F8) The files start to load for safemode but stop so i cannot enter Safemode. There are lots of pictures and video clips on it that he would like to save.Someone lent me a  multi boot repair cd which i got to boot from after many tries and i saw his pictures but they would not send to the cd or usb drive so i could save them. The only thing i can think of is put the Windows 7 install disc in and keep booting it untill it starts and re install. He will then lose all his Childrens pictures. If anyone can tell me if theres another way round it i would be grateful. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:53 AM

This looks like a failing hard drive or corrupted file system. You can try using Puppy linux to pull any files off the drive first.

You can download the iso for version 5.2.8 here. Burn the iso file and boot to the Puppy Desktop. You can burn a iso file in Windows 7 by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Your hard drive is shown on the lower left and will be called sda. There will be sda1...sda2.. depending on how many partitions are on sda. Your Windows partition should be sda2 if you have windows 7. Click once on it and a File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your Windows 7 files close the Window and click on the other drive icons until you find your Windows partition. Attach your USB external or flash drive. You will see a USB icon appear on the desktop. Click once on the icon and a File Manager will open.You can highlight files in Puppy by Left Clicking while pressing the Ctrl key. You can also left click and Window around files/folders. Drag the highlghted files from the hard drive Window to the USB external or flash drive Window. A small dialog box will open asking if you want to copy or move. Select Copy and click the quiet box. After the copy try opening your son's files and see if they open correctly.

Here is a good guide on using Puppy to transfer files. Do not do the disk check as explained in the guide. Post back if Puppy says the drive cannot be read. Also, you do not have to manually mount the drive. That is done automatically when you click once on the drive icon.

If you do not have a CD/DVD you can use Rufus with the Puppy iso file to create a bootable USB flash drive.

#3 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:01 AM

Yup, sounds like the disc has failed.

I hope you can rescue something from it.

Windows provides both file and system image backup which can be scheduled, in future always back up your photos/docs/files etc. several times a week.

High capacity external drives are not expensive these days.

I use 2 different external drives and also images I really want to keep also go on to DVD.

#4 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for the advice. I also back up important stuff and burn them to cd's. As i say its my Son. I was lent a disc called FalconFours Ultimate Boot CD. Its got

as part of the recovery, Mini XP. I ran this and could view all the pictures but cannot copy or send to CD or Usb Drive. I will try JohnC_21 suggestions and ley you know if it was successful.

#5 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 03:41 AM

I have tried Puppy Linux but cannot see any folders named SDA on the bottom left. There is only a disc named SR0. I have been lent a disc called Kotuwa Boot Disc

which contains several Linux  and other recovery tools. I clicked the first option Slax 7 and saw all the folders. i opened the Users folder and all the pictures and dvd clips were there. It was getting late in the day so i decided just to send one folder to a memory stick and i had planned to do the rest in the morning. Now i cant see Users folder anymore. I have been racking my brains trying to remember how i found the folders, so if anyone can help i would be grateful. Thanks

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,605 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:44 AM

I am not sure why Puppy was not able to detect your hard drives. SR0 is the optical drive. Slax may have had later drivers. If you cannot see your folders anymore then it is likely the hard drive has failed completely/

If you open a terminal (console) in Slax and type the following command what is the output?

fdisk -l

#7 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:00 AM

It states format not found.I think the hard drive is no longer working, Is there such thing as a hard drive repair disc, or do you think i should reformat it?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,605 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:24 AM

I think your hard drive has failed and if the hard drive cannot be found then you cannot format it. Do this command in a terminal window.

lsblk -o name,label,size,fstype,mountpoint,model

What is the output? Does it list your hard drive? If not, then there is no way you can retrieve the data via software. You would need to use a profressional data recovery service.

#9 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:41 AM

Im, getting command not found. I also have on the disc parted magic and thats telling me the drive will fail in less than 24 hours and to back everything up so i think its had its day. Thanks

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,605 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:44 AM

Yes, your drive has failed. Using Parted Magic, do you see the drive using File Manager? If you do, can you see your files?

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

At this point I would stop trying to access the files on the disk. The more you try the more damaged the disk will become and the harder it will be to recover. I have used Eco Data Recovery to recover failed raid arrays and other failed drives. They are not free, but they do have free estimates.They are very reasonable and very good at their job. They have been successful on 15 drives I have sent them. 

Edited by Sneakycyber, 18 April 2015 - 11:05 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:22 AM

JohnC_21 The  folder that is called pictures and The Documents folder are empty I also see sda 1,2,3 and 4 and they are also empty.Thank You Sneakycyber  I live in  South East England so i'll look for a local dealer near to me.

#13 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 02:16 PM

I am now trying to reinstall Windows 7. I have three partitions 

Disc 0 Partition 1  Total  12 GB 11.9 OEM Reserved.

Disc 0 Partition 2  Total 101 MB 67 MB System

Disc 0 Partition 3   Total 220.89 GB 805 GB Primary

Do i need to format all of these partitions and install on 3 Primary, or do i delete any of these partitions. Thanks for any more help

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 02:45 PM

If this is the same hard drive it should be replaced before installing Windows if its failing Be warned if you re install Windows you will loose anything you haven't saved yet. That being said it looks like this is drive may have a factory recovery partition you should be able to access the factory recovery by pressing "Alt" + "F10" during boot. If you are unable to access the factory partition you want to select disc 0 partition 3 when re installing. This will re install Windows and place the old settings in the Windows.old folder (unless you format the partition first). 

Edited by Sneakycyber, 18 April 2015 - 02:45 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#15 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:53 AM

You were right Sneakycyber. I reinstalled Windows 7 and the hard drive failed. I bought a 500 gb hard drive and I saw on Youtube how simple it was to change it. Just four screws. Its now running fine. Thanks to you all for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users