Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Don't have permission to reply to a post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 adamforum

adamforum

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:26 PM

Hello,

I was responding to a member's forum post with advice on how to go about handling their security issue and after taking the time to type out 3-4 paragraphs of information and clicking submit, I was then informed that I don't have permission to reply to the post???

I just joined this site the other day so I don't know why I was given the option to reply to a post if I don't actually have permission to reply??

Anyways, thought the webmaster would be interested in addressing this bug.

Regards,

A

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:01 AM

Hello there,

Is the post you are replying to in the Malware Removal Logs area? If so, you are not allowed to reply to posts in that area due to security reasons.

Hope this helps :)

Regards,
Alex

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:33 AM

If the topic you wanted to reply to is in Malware Removal Logs:

That forum is highly restricted-replies can only be made by the person who started the topic, members of the Malware Removal Team, designated Study Hall Seniors and BC staff moderators and above.

We understand you were only trying to support another member with malware/possible malware issues. While we greatly appreciate your willingness to do so we have special rules in place with regards to malware removal to ensure that members only receive help in this complex and critical area of support from those we know are well informed and trained.

At the top of the Malware Removal Logs Forum is this

Only members of the Malware Response Team or Moderators are allowed to help people with logs. Anyone else should refrain from posting to another user's log.

Before the system was changed there were good intentioned members who wanted to help and did post to log topics even though they should not have. Anytime this happened, the replies were removed from the topic.

The policy also prevents "Me to, I have the same problem" posts in MRL topics.

#4 adamforum

adamforum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:34 PM

Is the post you are replying to in the Malware Removal Logs area? If so, you are not allowed to reply to posts in that area due to security reasons.

It may have been; I do not remember.  I can understand the desire to limit feedback in sensitive forums, however it would be better if the forum software was configured so that users who do not have permission to respond do not have the option to reply/quote/multiquote and enter a response...only to find out the response they spent 10 minutes typing up was never going to be posted anyways.

#5 adamforum

adamforum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:40 PM

If the topic you wanted to reply to is in Malware Removal Logs:

That forum is highly restricted-replies can only be made by the person who started the topic, members of the Malware Removal Team, designated Study Hall Seniors and BC staff moderators and above.

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users