Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse/Keyboard shutting down during games

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Amswickard

Amswickard

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:41 PM

For the past several months I've noticed every once in a while my keyboard and mouse would shut down briefly and then reconnect (I'm talking once every two weeks or so). A couple days ago the problem escalated to every time I turned a game on. The problem is preceded by 10 to 15 minutes of the disconnect/reconnect windows sound. I've attempted to narrow the problem down, but can't seem to pinpoint it. The computer claims that a USB device is not recognized and repeats this error over and over. Everything functions perfectly outside of games, however.

I have tried reinstalling the device drivers, reinstalling the usb drivers, and switching ports both front and back. Furthermore I only have three USB devices, and I've tried unplugging them to figure out the problem device, yet no combination gives me an answer. I can't fix the problem if I don't know what the problem is. 

Edited by Amswickard, 12 April 2015 - 09:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Amswickard

Amswickard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:14 PM

Update: Devices work fine on other computers and problem persists with generic keyboard/mouse on the primary computer. Is this the motherboard going bad then?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:26 PM

I am assuming your are using a wired mouse and keyboard on the USB ports and you are using Windows 7. Try disabling USB selective suspend. If that does not work and you have a powered USB hub, try using it and see if you get a mouse or keyboard shutdown.

#4 Amswickard

Amswickard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:06 PM

No dice, and yes I'm using a wired Razer Blackwidow and Naga on Windows 7.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:24 PM

Were you able to try a powered USB Hub?

#6 Amswickard

Amswickard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:49 PM

No, I don't have one handy. I've also tried running many different programs and it seems that the less intensive games and programs do not cause the error. Now I'm wondering if it's the power supply going bad.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:18 PM

Is anything listed in Event Viewer at the time of the dropout?

#8 Amswickard

Amswickard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:06 AM

Nothing that I can see. Is there a specific section of Event Viewer that I should be watching?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:28 AM

I would look in the System or Application sections.

#10 Amswickard

Amswickard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

I watched both sections and waited for a power-off of the keyboard. Nothing out of the ordinary popped up on either of them. 

#11 Roedel

Roedel

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:20 PM

I have the same problem, it started about a month ago when I got the "Razor Deathstalker" keyboard, the problem started about a week after I got it. The problem consisted of the LED lights blinking on and off at random the keyboard unresponsive, as well as affecting my mouse. The only way I could fix it was to restart my computer. Initially thinking it was a problem with the keyboard I returned it and got a different keyboard. The same keyboard Amswicked has, the Razor Blackwidow. The error continued but this time the keyboard remained functional and the mouse was unresponsive as well if I had any joystick plugged in. Again the only way to regain function was to restart the computer. I tried disabling USB select suspend but the problem consisted.

My only hypothesis is that the program that Razor prompts you to install "Razor Synapse" is causing some problems although im not sure.

#12 Amswickard

Amswickard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:35 PM

With that in mind I turned Synapse off and started up the programs that were causing errors before. No errors this time. I've sent an email to Razer to let them know of this, though why it would affect non-Razer products as well is a mystery

#13 Roedel

Roedel

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:44 AM

I feel smarter than I should ^.^

#14 Roedel

Roedel

• Members
  • 6 posts