Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chaostoday

chaostoday

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:28 PM

I have an Dell 1545 with a standard (Non-illuminated) keyboard. I know they came with illuminated ones as an option. I am replacing the HDD and was considering replacing the keyboard with an illuminated OEM one as well. Is this difficult?

I'm pretty sure I can since they are the same size and the only difference is illumination.

Does this sound ok? Would love a second opinion.

Thought on an HDD would also be appreciated. I was just thinking 500GB. Could do more.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350932604494?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:44 PM

Keyboards are typically easy to replace. If I recall correctly, the 1545's were very easy to work on. A youtube video might be helpful here:

My suggestion would be to remove the keyboard and verify that your motherboard supports (has the proper connections) for the backlit keyboard before ordering one.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 chaostoday

chaostoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:37 AM

What an awesome response!!! Thank you.
What about the same thing for my Dell 15R 5537?
This looks even easier. The mother board connection doesn't look any different. Can there actually be a difference between mother board connections for a standard vs backlit dell keyboard?
I don't wanna waste my time and money if this doesn't work. Thanks again

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:00 AM

In all Dell back lit keyboards I have seen so far, there was an extra connector for the back lights.

It appears for your 15R 5537 there is an extra copper color connector coming out toward the top of the keyboard:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-for-Dell-Inspiron-15-5000-Laptop-Keyboard-backlit-unfit-15R-5521-15R-5537-/161463723518?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2597fce5fe

If you take the current keyboard out and take a picture of that open area I can tell you if you have that connector on the motherboard.

I couldn't find a back lit keyboard for the 1545 and I can not recall ever seeing one in a 1545 when I worked in retail.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 chaostoday

chaostoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:36 AM

I went to a very reputable YouTube tutorial to learn how to get the laptop keyboard out. The video must have been wrong because it did not come out that way.
All it did was remove the black plastic bezel from around the keys. Now the bezel will not go back in and snap into place. It is loose on the top of the keys. I also fear that One of the function keys has been damaged.
I still don't have the keyboard removed and I feel I have done more harm than good.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:20 AM

Which computer were you working on? The plastic bezel that goes around the keyboard may have been plastic welded on and not supposed to come off... In this case you might need a new keyboard. That or possibly the plastic snaps that hold that in place have been broken.

With the 1545, there is a plastic cover above the keyboard that is about 1inch thick that covers the top of the keyboard and goes to the hinges. That part comes off. You have to remove the battery first, remove screws that are under the battery, and then pry that small thin cover off carefully. Then remove the screws at the top end of the keyboard and the keyboard should come out. The video for the 1545 is excellent.

Edited by zingo156, 15 April 2015 - 12:44 PM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:49 PM

Here is a video for the other computer:

These can be a bit confusing, the bezel around the keys is not meant to come off of the 5537. What you have to do is push the little keyboard locking tabs toward the screen end of the computer using a small flat head screw driver. The whole entire keyboard should pop up when all of those tabs have been pushed up where they no longer lock the keyboard down. The tabs basically slide and move out of the way... These tabs can be a bit tricky at first, take your time and push carefully. It shouldn't take much force to push those tabs toward the direction of the screen/hinges.

#8 chaostoday

chaostoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:32 PM

Ok. Here are the pics.

Attached Files

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:15 PM

I do not see any open connectors on the main board. My guess is it doesn't have the option. I did some research and it seems the question has been asked on the Dell forums and the answer was it does not support a back lit keyboard. Link: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19565314

In these situations I generally recommend a USB powered light that clips to the laptop screen such as one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Daffodil-ULT05-USB-LED-Light/dp/B00BWTYMPM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1429136114&sr=8-3&keywords=laptop+keyboard+light

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users