Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Faulty onboard graphics?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gavrd1

gavrd1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:40 PM

Hi

I have a Packard Bell imedia 1459 to repair which has been full of viruses and so evern after their removal it appears to have corrupted windows beyond repair and I kept getting dll errors, freezing, no responses etc so best option was a clean XP home install.

However, the install goes fine but as soon as I try to install the drivers for the onboard graphics with is an ATI Xpress 200 I get problems. The motherboard is an NEC GA-8TRC410M-NF and it requires the drivers for the VGA controller.

I have tried various driver versions and in some they will not install saying it does'nt detect the hardware, in cases where I have managed to get the drivers on it will often boot up and then after a few minutes give me a BSOD with the error being the ati2dvag as the cause. This is with service pack 1 installed. Even if I do another clean install of windows I still get back to this Trying different versions of the drivers has not solved it either.

When I loaded service pack 3 on to it and managed to get the drivers installed, after a few minutes they display would go blank and stay like that.

If I load Windows Mini XP from Hiren's boot cd the display is fine and when I plugged a post probe card into the motherboard no errors came up. However, I tried running a couple of different versions of Ubuntu from a live cd and the display crashed on both before they could get loaded.

Generally, the machine itself runs ok all except for when it comes to installing and/or using the drivers for the onboard graphics. I do not particularly want to leave it running in just basic graphics display mode!

Would I be correct in thinking that there may be a problem with the onboard graphics? I have noted that on the machine the onboard LAN does not seem to work and so there has been a PCI network card installed instead.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 atanas.kitov

atanas.kitov

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:01 PM

Those type of cards always have problems with the drivers. Do not consider it a hardware problem. Just try different drivers under safe mode. I suggest you look through the Legacy ATI drivers on their support page. See if it does the work.

#3 gavrd1

gavrd1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for that, I tried different driver versions including the original versions that were on the machine before and still the same results.

I have noticed though that the the PSU fan is not spinning at all, and although various windows testing programs show the voltages as ok, when I plugged it in to a manual power supply tester it showed the +3.3v line as only running at around 2.5-2.9v. I have noticed on the motherboard itself there is a capacitor or two just starting to raise slightly.

Could this be a contributory to the problem? It seems very odd that the same drivers as before are causing the same problems as before and after a clean install of XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users