Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% disc usage, applications hanging

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aneczka

aneczka

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:34 PM

Hi,

I depend on my computer for my living, so the issue is frustrating. It only started happening on that new laptop with Windows 8 installed. My old laptop with exactly the same set of programms never had that issue. I don't have too many programms installed anyway.

HD has 500 GB, with 345 GB free space. Avast antivirus is installed. I've scanned my laptop with all sorts of programms recommended on this thread, and nothing was found: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/569672/slow-computer-with-100-disk-usage/page-2

I've also went through the step mentioned there and there is not much difference. The usage is not constantly on 100%, but it spikes often. I think avast antivirus may be responsible for it, but their tech support has not been helpful (they never responded, although I'm a paying customer), so I'm thinking of getting rid of it. Not sure what to use instead, though, and will also be grateful for recommendations.

Edited by aneczka, 12 April 2015 - 03:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:37 PM

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also a good choice for the same reason and so is Kaspersky Anti-virus. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.

Keep in mind that all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free...see Has the antivirus industry gone mad?!

ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

For other alternatives to consider, please read:Also keep in mind than an anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection. Please read:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 aneczka

aneczka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:52 AM

Thanks a lot Quietman. I removed avast and installed ESET instead, trial version. That seems to have made things much much better indeed. But: my working software is a heavy load on my system. It mainly uses lots of RAM, which spills over to a heavy disc usage, due to the paging file. Is there anything I can do about it in the meantime, before I buy additional RAM? Disabling paging file makes no sense for me, I have tried that.

My HD has over 300 GB free, with or without pagefile, so I dont quite understand why it is not coping well with the load.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:56 AM

Exactly what working software are you referring to?

#5 aneczka

aneczka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:00 AM

Oh well, it's a translation software, which accesses huge amounts of data stored on my HD (termbases, archives, etc.) I've talked to the manufacturer, but they were not very helpful on that.

Firefox is also using a lot of RAM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:44 AM

I don't know anything about your translation software but as for Firefox.

Troubleshooting Firefox:

Troubleshooting Crashes and unresponsive behavior in Firefox:

Optimizing FireFox:

How to make Firefox load faster:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users