Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 Deleted My Local Account

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 warcat

warcat

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 02:46 PM

After the latest round of Windows 8.1 updates, Windows deleted my local account, forcing me to sign in with my live account. I tried creating a new local account, but I cannot set it for administrator rights; it will only create an account with standard rights. What's going on? It seems like an evil plot by Microsoft to further control how we can use our computers! How can I create a local user account with administrator rights that has the same desktop, etc. as my live account? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SillyBilly

SillyBilly

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:43 PM

There appears to be 2 questions here;

1.  Creating a local user account with administrator rights 

2.  Making the Desktop of this new account the same as the Live account

I have been experimenting with these questions and had no dificulty performing the functions.  I have Classc Shell, which allows me to move around the PC very easily, and I have not installed the latest MS Important updates (39) since February.  These are not critical updates, so I chose to ignore them.  This lack of similarity between our PCs may make a difference.

I will assume that you do not have Classic Shell installed and proceed from that point.

Boot your PC using the account with Administrator rights.

Press the windows Key + C to display the Charms Bar on the right side

Select Search, make 'everywhere' the default, in the window type 'user acounts'

From the menu select 'add, delete and manage other user accounts'

From the menu select 'Add an Account'

This is the critical window 'How will this person sign in?' Look at the last entry on the page. "Sign in without a Microsoft account (not recommended)" Select this option

From the new window select 'Local Account'

From the next window, complete the options as you desire.  I set up a Guest account with no password.

Select 'Next'

From the new window select 'Finish'

The window should advise you that this new account is set up.  It is a local acount without a pasword required and no administrator rights.

Press Windows key + C to display the Charms Bar

Select Search and type 'User Accounts'

Select 'User Accounts'

From the new window select 'Manage another account'

Click on the account you just created

In the new window select 'Change the account type'

Select the circle for "Administrator' and click on 'Change Account type'

A new window should display showing that this new account is a Local account with administrator rights.

I did not mean to treat you as a newbie. I realize that you are able to set up and change account types, but I tried to make the process very basic. You may take other ways to achieve the same results.

Log out from your Administrator account and log in with the new Guest account that you just created. What displays?  This will determine the next steps.

Post back please.

#3 SillyBilly

SillyBilly

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:39 PM

Well it seems that I wasted time and effort to try to help the poster of this thread.  He/she did not have the courtesy of returning to the thread to say thanks or to say that the problem had been solved and how   Not again for this poster.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:45 PM

I THINK this might be due to a recent update, KB3013816. I would suggest doing what it takes to log in and then uninstalling this update via the control panel, make sure to have updates set to "check automatically but ask me before downloading or installing" in future so that you have a chance to research what any given update does before you install it.

Tell me if that solves your issue and lets you log in with a proper local account again rather thna an ms account.

Also: as a guess I suspect KB3013816 (if that is the cause of this problem) will have alos set your update settings to fully automatic, if it is responsible for this then once you've solved this crisis make sure to set your updates to "check automatically but ask me before download and installation" so that KB3013816 doesn't try this on you again.

SillyBilly: if my suspicion of the cause is correct (that will be for warcat to confirm) then you would not be suffering this isue as you likely haven't installed KB3013816. I share your view of making sure to check out updates and personally my rule is to prioritize those which fix security issues and only allow those which are not security related after long and careful checking firstly that they don't cause severe crashes and secondly that they aren't doing something nasty.

Edited by rp88, 14 April 2015 - 04:53 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:27 PM

I would suggest running Windows System Restore.

If the now missing user account is then recovered in-tact, reinstall the Windows Updates 1-by-1, checking the local account after each install/reboot.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#6 warcat

warcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:07 AM

Thanks for all the help. I had a personal emergency and could not reply until now. I tried the system restore, but it failed. I followed silly billy's instructions, but was still missing programs that I had on my live account. I finally disconnected my live account and made it a local account. Hopefully, Windows will not delete it this time.

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:42 AM

Did you see my suggestions about the update which might be to blame, is it installed? If you don't see it listed there is a command line trick for searching ofr it, thuogh I strongly expect that if it is installed you will see it listed under either control panbel-->windows update-->view update history OR control panel-->windows update-->installed updates. If it is present try removing it. Also I would suggest you try and get some sort of complaint directly to ms about this, if enough people hate such actions on their part they might stop trying it. One other thing, did you ever make system images? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/ (go down to step 3)if so you could restore from one of them, if not then if you fix this issue now make one afterwards incase anything bad happens in future. They are much more reliable ways to save your system than system restore is.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:05 PM

It helped me.  I am going to try this as soon as I can get my other problem straightened out.  Thanks for posting this!

There appears to be 2 questions here;

1.  Creating a local user account with administrator rights 

2.  Making the Desktop of this new account the same as the Live account

I have been experimenting with these questions and had no dificulty performing the functions.  I have Classc Shell, which allows me to move around the PC very easily, and I have not installed the latest MS Important updates (39) since February.  These are not critical updates, so I chose to ignore them.  This lack of similarity between our PCs may make a difference.

I will assume that you do not have Classic Shell installed and proceed from that point.

Boot your PC using the account with Administrator rights.

Press the windows Key + C to display the Charms Bar on the right side

Select Search, make 'everywhere' the default, in the window type 'user acounts'

From the menu select 'add, delete and manage other user accounts'

From the menu select 'Add an Account'

This is the critical window 'How will this person sign in?' Look at the last entry on the page. "Sign in without a Microsoft account (not recommended)" Select this option

From the new window select 'Local Account'

From the next window, complete the options as you desire.  I set up a Guest account with no password.

Select 'Next'

From the new window select 'Finish'

The window should advise you that this new account is set up.  It is a local acount without a pasword required and no administrator rights.

Press Windows key + C to display the Charms Bar

Select Search and type 'User Accounts'

Select 'User Accounts'

From the new window select 'Manage another account'

Click on the account you just created

In the new window select 'Change the account type'

Select the circle for "Administrator' and click on 'Change Account type'

A new window should display showing that this new account is a Local account with administrator rights.

I did not mean to treat you as a newbie. I realize that you are able to set up and change account types, but I tried to make the process very basic. You may take other ways to achieve the same results.

Log out from your Administrator account and log in with the new Guest account that you just created. What displays?  This will determine the next steps.

Post back please.

#9 warcat

warcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:41 PM

rp88 -- I pulled up the list of windows updates, but did not see the one in question. The computer has gone through more updates, and so far it hasn't deleted my local account (fingers crossed).

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:09 AM

warcat: You got your local account back then?

What about the update settings, are they on full auto, auto download but manual install, auto check but manual download and install or full off? Auto check is best, just set yourself a weekly alarm on your phone to go into windows updates in control panel every tuesday evening or wednesday morning and look to see what is being offered.

Just to clarify when the deletion happened what precisly occured, did you boot up one day to find a message at the logon screen saying something along the lines of "local accounts are not accepted on this pc any more, use an existing ms account or set one up now"? Did you have just a local account before this occured or did you have both a local AND an ms account?

Edited by rp88, 21 April 2015 - 10:09 AM.

#11 warcat

warcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:10 PM

rp88: Yes, I basically got my local account by disconnecting my msn account. The updates were on full auto, but I have since set them to allow me to review them before they are installed.  Who knew MSN would install malware with their system updates? Also, I did not receive any messages; the local account was just -- gone!

Initially, this computer had 8.0 on it and I set it up with only a local account. I then wanted to access some of the other content and had to set up a msn live account to do so. I upgraded to 8.1 about a year ago, and everything was working fine. It wasn't until this last round of updates that my local account was deleted. I knew something was up when I turned on the computer and was greeted by the lockscreen. Normally it goes straight to the desktop since I don't have a password on the local account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users