Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox & IE Not working

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:41 PM

Yesterday my kaspersky internet trial ran out so i decided to install a trial version of avast internet security and it has literally ruined my internet connection. Due to my internet not working properly via normal start up i am sending this via safe mode in firefox. When i open Firefox the screen is just blank and when i try to search for anything i get  2 errors consistently about applications and something else. But when i open IE it says the page cannot be displayed and if the internet does manage to work it's basically at a snails pace.

Also my internet connection is fine overall and it's not linked to my ISP. Any help would be great. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 02:24 PM

If you haven't already done so, uninstall Avast and Kaspersky while in Safe Mode. If that doesn't allow for Firefox to display properly

then attempt a System Restore using a restore point just prior to installing Avast.

If you have a problem uninstalling those or any program use Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware in Advanced Mode.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:18 PM

I've used Revo and i've also used the removal tools for both sets of anti virus and it's still not working. Even skype has stopped working now. I will attempt to upload a picture of the 2 errors that occur as i managed to get screenshots of them earlier. http://www.imagebam.com/image/24491c403260320

The 2 errors in that screenshot have never appeared prior to me installing avast internet security suite either.

Edited by Miguel_92, 12 April 2015 - 05:19 PM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:25 PM

What about doing the System Restore using a restore point created immediately before installing Avast?

If you need help doing that, tell us what Windows OS you are using.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:33 PM

Oh yes i've tried that and that didn't work either. Really wish i hadn't installed avast now lol and i'm using windows 7 x64. As it's mainly ruined everything that is linked to the internet apart from something called bluestacks which works perfectly.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:43 PM

Did you intentionally install bluestacks...was it installed before installing Avast?

Did you download Avast from Avast 2015 | Download Free Antivirus Software for Virus Protection ?

Windows Repair All in One may fix the problem. Windows Repair (All In One) Download

Run these fixes:

• Reset Registry Permissions
  • Reset File Permissions
  • Register System Files
  • Repair WMI
  • Repair Windows Firewall
  • Repair Internet Explorer
  • Repair MDAC & MS Jet
  • Repair Hosts File
  • Remove Policies Set By Infections
  • Repair Icons
  • Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
  • Remove Temp Files
  • Repair Proxy Settings
  • Unhide Non System Files

#7 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:50 PM

Yes i've had bluestacks for a while and it was installed prior to avast but everything worked on my machine before i installed avast so i believe 100% that's what is causing the issues at hand. Here is a new issue i've come across when i can finally get the internet to work on a normal boot up. http://www.imagebam.com/image/b1625d403264692

Also, when the internet finally does work firefox is not displaying pages properly and it's still crawling at a snails pace.

Edited by Miguel_92, 12 April 2015 - 05:51 PM.

#8 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:54 PM

Firefox is now working but i'm still getting the pop up boxes asking me to open things when i click the homepage button or if something opens up in a new tab. In the image above it shows the issue i am having. Literally not sure what is causing that. But i think i spoke too soon about it working as certain pages are still getting errors.

Edited by Miguel_92, 12 April 2015 - 07:01 PM.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:03 PM

I think I would save Firefox bookmarks and then use Revo to do a complete uninstall of Firefox including the Profile. To be safe, save the bookmarks in an email to

prevent them from being removed by Revo.

You can do the reinstall of Firefox either before or after running the fixes in the All In One tool.

You can download Firefox before uninstalling and save.....Download (English, British)

#10 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:14 PM

I'm just wondering what those boxes are that keep on popping up every time i try to open a new page or if i click on the homepage button. And when i'm in a new tab and i press the home button nothing happens. Internet Explorer is still behaving in a weird manner and it isn't opening pages correctly either. All weird characters are also appearing on the screen instead of text as well.

Edited by Miguel_92, 13 April 2015 - 01:19 PM.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:39 PM

Have you run the All In One fixes and reinstalled Firefox?

Are the boxes you are mentioning similar to the image you posted...like these?

Firefox%20Errors.jpg

Edited by buddy215, 13 April 2015 - 01:40 PM.

#12 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:28 PM

After messing round for a while i decided to remove a trial version of norton internet security as well to see if that fixed the issue along with refreshing firefox and now everything works as normal. So for a test i decided to download avast internet security and that confirmed that avast broke firefox and internet explorer. It also gave my a blue screen crash so it's safe to say i won't be getting that ever again.

#13 Grimmskld

Grimmskld

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:32 PM

Another part of it could have been the fact that you were using Norton, as well as Avast simultaneously.  Having more than one AV running can cause issues too!

#14 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:23 PM

Btw i did get rid of avast then i installed norton so that wasn't the issue. Also, my problem has returned yet again and it's annoying be quite badly now seen as firefox,ie,skype and windows live mail no longer work. If i try to use any other anti virus it still stops my internet from working and i don't think microsoft security essentials will be enough along side malwarebytes pro.

Edited by Miguel_92, 19 April 2015 - 06:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users