Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

confused. Which JAVA jre now?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:29 PM

I just installed jre7u75, but it is out of date according to plug-in information from the Firefox browser, and notifications from Internet Explorer.  I saw the download page information from the oracle website, but was confused then and am still confused now.  Which jre should I really download and install?

Windows Vista sp-whatever is curren(windows is up-to-date);

IE 9 (that is the latest that Windows Update gave me);

Firefox 37.01.

"32-bit Windows"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:36 PM

Hi cafejose :)

The current version of Java is Java 8 Update 40 for the JRE (Java Runetime Environement), and the Java SE Development Kit 8 Update 40 for the JDK (Java Development Kit). The browser only needs the standard Java JRE (and so does your system). The JDK is needed if you want to develop applications running on Java. You can download the Java JRE and JDK from the links below.

Java JRE: https://www.java.com/en/download/win8.jsp
Java JDK: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 AndroidOS

AndroidOS

Malware Search++ developer

• Security Developer
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:38 PM

Hi cafejose,

In addition to what Aura. has just posted, there is a handy tool you can use to keep Java updated called JavaRa: 

To update Java

Please download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder

• Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
  • Accept any prompts.
  • Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
  • Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button. Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:40 PM

If you are to use JavaRa, please use it only if you can't uninstall Java normally or after you uninstalled it from the Control Panel, since it might leave traces in the Registry and you wouldn't want that to happen.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:54 PM

Hi cafejose :)

The current version of Java is Java 8 Update 40 for the JRE (Java Runetime Environement), and the Java SE Development Kit 8 Update 40 for the JDK (Java Development Kit). The browser only needs the standard Java JRE (and so does your system). The JDK is needed if you want to develop applications running on Java. You can download the Java JRE and JDK from the links below.

Java JRE: https://www.java.com/en/download/win8.jsp
Java JDK: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html

Aura, thanks,

I look at the link addresses you quoted, and as reminder, I have Windows VISTA.  Still not sure what to do.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:56 PM

As far as I know, Java 8 Update 40 is supported on Windows Vista, so you can install it and use it. You should uninstall any precedent versions of Java that you have installed however.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#7 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 02:26 PM

The oracle site makes things very tough.  The only way I could find the file and page to download it was through a google search for the installer file name,  jre-8u40-windows-i586.exe,  for the off-line installer.  The search brought me to this page,

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

(reposted link because was missing when this message first posted)

Edited by cafejose, 12 April 2015 - 02:40 PM.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 02:28 PM

All you have to do jose, is to go on the first link I posted, and click on the big Agree and Start Free Download button to download Java. Once done, you install it :)

hTANm0e.png

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users