Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Burn Anything

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:13 PM

I recently got my computer a few weeks ago, and within the first week I noticed that I wasn't able to burn onto a DVD-R. I soon forgot about it and went on setting up my new PC. Recently, I tried to write a few files onto a CD-R, and was unable to do that as well. I tried every type of medai I have available (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R & DVD+RW) and I'm unable to burn anything to any of them. No matter what I use to try and burn them (I've tried the default windows thing, Nero, Alcohol 120%, UltraISO, CloneDVD, etc.) I get some sort of error message.

I haven't bothered to write anything down, but if it's needed I can get the exact error messages. The default Windows XP burner gives me an error saying the destination was in use or something. CloneDVD was a bit different, if I havethe disc in the drive before I open the program, It gives me a blue screen as soon as the program opens. If I open the program and then put a blank disc in, I get an error saying that's it's an incorrect/incompatible format.

This really concerns me, I will be taking this PC to college with me in the fall and I really need this to be working. If nobody here can give me any help, I think I may call tech support that came with my PC. I just don't feel like waiting hours and finally talking to somebody who treats me like I know nothing.

EDIT: some additional info

These are my two CD/DVD Drives as they show up under Device Manager:
_NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A
TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S162L

The product name, as given by the company I bought them from:
NEC 16X DVD+/- RW Dual Layer Drive
SAMSUNG 16X SuperMulti Dual Layer DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology

I am able to read from the CDs and DVDs, it's just writing to them. I get the same exact errors no matter which drive I use, so I'm assuming it's something wrong with my hardware or drivers.

Edited by .Prodigy., 01 July 2006 - 10:20 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:38 AM

Did you remove any burning software? Sometimes that can affect things. Adding additional software can also affect it. Here's some Microsoft info on this.

#3 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for the reply. I didn't remove any burning software from my computer, so that's not the problem. I suppose it's possible that one my burning softwares could be doing it, but I've used it on other computers without a problem.

That microsoft website doesn't really explain my problem. I'm able to access the drives. I can read anything from them without a problem, I just can't burn anything.

Posted Image

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 05:10 PM

Yeah, the adding software thing was what stood out for me - could be that having more than one burning software can cause them to conflict. I've seen a lot of the computers that Adaptec was removed from and removing the upperfilters and lowerfilters fixed it. Different softwares use different types of settings in the registry. Other software won't work after Adaptec leaves its junk behind.

I recently had an uncompatible format on my DVD burner and was able to fix it with a combination System Restore and Last Known Good Configuration. The computer wouldn't start after the restore, and after using LKGC it said that the restore was successful and it's all working fine.

If it was giving you the problem right off the bat, then a restore wouldn't help much.

I think I'd be calling the manufacturer for help.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:30 PM

I know you are running Windows XP Pro but there is little other information other than that. What is the make and model of your computer, processor, Ram, and any other info you can give on it. Also any error messages that you can give would be of great help?

I figure that if you can read from the drives that they are installed correctly. ALso I would like you to run a HijackThis for one thing:

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

#6 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions ThorXP. I ended up doing a complete system restore (the PC is only a couple weeks old anyway) and that seemed to fix the problem. I'm now able to read from and write to any type of media.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users