Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless USB Dongle 'Not Recognized'

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tazmo8448

tazmo8448

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:50 AM

Working on a friends XP PC (Pro SP-3 OS) he has a SMC USB WLAN 'dongle' or wireless lan that he has used to connect. I had to reinstall his OS and now has stopped working even with installing the drivers from their site. I've gone into 'services' made sure it was started. I've rebooted restarted tried all the usb ports and all I get is the windows default 'error' sound. In Device Manager it shows as 'Other Device' with the yellow question mark. I've uninstalled it restarted ad nauseum with no luck. I can take it and plug into any other pc and it works like a charm so that eliminates the unit itself and to top it off it works without installing any drivers. I'm thinking thats because windows auto downloads it normally. I am totally perplexed as to why it refuses to work on the new OS install. All six USB ports work as I've verified them with other devices. 

The model is a SMCUSBS-N4. It's listed under devices as a 802.11 n WLAN. I've tried everything I can think of.

If anybody can point to something I may have missed and I hope I've explained all the things I've covered so far

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:04 PM

Right click the device with the yellow exclamation mark. Select Properties and under the details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

#3 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

What I did was plug it into my pc went to Device Manager drilled down to the details found it was a Ralink driver dated 6/2009 went to the Ralink website got one that was close as they didn't show anything dead on and ran it on his pc and it worked, funny thing was the SMC site that makes the thing, none of their drivers worked. But (and its a big ole but) everytime his pc reboots or restarts it somehow stops the program and have to redownload the driver on each restart. It doesn't show in services to be able to enable it to automatic or anything. I have come to the conclusion, as he has other issues such as the mobo not responding to the keyboard correctly (depress the 'E' key for example and it opens pages) also the on-screen keyboard is doing the same thing, which leads me to believe the mobo is bad. I've reflashed the BIOS, loaded all the new drivers from the MSI site for his particular mobo model, still no joy.

Come to find out he had a lightning surge through the RJ-45 connection when I pressed for details and since have instructed him to get another mobo and we'd go from there.

Thanks John_21.... I feel his issue is a much larger one that can only be rectified with another mobo.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:15 PM

I was going to recommend an updated driver from Realtek. Just for future reference I searched for SMCUSBS-N4 at Wikidev and it came up with this page. Uses the Ralink RT3072. Did you use this driver on the ralink page?

USB (RT2870/ RT2770/ RT307X/ RT2070 RT357X/ RT3370/ RT8070/ RT5X7X/ MT7610/ MT7601/MT7612U)    1/9/2015

Wikidev is a good site to find out what chipsets are used for various devices.

Lightning through a port on the MB is never good.

Edit: Do the following for the disconnection. Not sure if it will work though.

Disable power savings for the adapter  

Disable USB power managment

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 April 2015 - 05:22 PM.

#5 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:00 PM

A big ten four on the lightning. Yes that list of Ralink drivers (remember the RT2870 being listed amongst others) looks like the one I got as it listed quite a few. Thanks for taking the time to track down the RT3072 that pertains to his SMCUSBS-N4 that'll come in handy when he gets his refurbished mobo (they stopped production and NewEgg-Amazon and others show it out of stock) its a MSI G31TM-P21 LGA775 model; btw if you have a handle on any new ones that would be great.

While here let me tell what he expierenced; He had two seperate lightning strikes. The first one only knocked his bedroom pc off the internet. He took the tower to Best Buy and was talked into a quick fix using a usb/lan modem (the strike fried the RJ-45 adapter) and it worked fine til he got hit by another strike six months later, this time it got the phone too. Seems TimeWarner isn't grounding the units properly, so the tech came and got it all on line again but for some reason (he never told my friend why or that he even did it) he replaced the usb/lan modem with that SMC Wireless USB dongle. Then a week or so later he was expierencing KB issues, pressing certain letters would open new pages (almost like a macros was happening) so he brought it to me and after 4 or 5 hrs I just re-installed his OS all went well after I found those Ralink drivers and was able to go online and was tweaking the set up then the same KB issues came back; I even used the on-screen KB and it was doing the same thing with the exact same letters plus some letters weren't recognized at all. That convinced me that the MoBo was bad.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:20 PM

If he gets hit that often he should consider a UPS unit with Automatic Voltage Regulation. I only found the MB on Ebay refurbished for $55. Is the reason you want a duplicate is for activation? XP PRO should still activate but XP is no longer supported with security updates. You could get a better motherboard with a new processor and install a linux distro but it would depend on what he uses the computer for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-MS-7549-G31TM-P21-LGA-775-Intel-Motherboard-/251226382896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7e426230

#7 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:51 PM

That is the exact same one I'm looking at on E-Bay and have opened correspondence with Chris (the seller) about that particular Mobo, that one only had a bad BIOS and he re-flashed it. I guess the big reason we're considering replacing the Mobo is the dollar factor. He has limited funds and really is looking to do this the least expensive way, he does have some decent components (Intel 3.2gHz CPU, plus lots of DDR2 RAM) and a roomy Mid-Tower.  I'm really leaning to putting Windows7  on it (ran the compatibility and it will take Win7 ) and yes currently it is or was running XP Pro 32 bit. He only uses it for emails and conducting business at home. He doesn't game or make videos. I installed Avira as the AV along with all the pro-active malware tools I could talk him into using like MBAM-Spybot-SuperAntiSpyware. He's really a noob to all that stuff; first thing I noticed when he brought it to me was that MSE was not activated or running. I'm wondering because MS dropped support if that is for MSE as well? I put MSE on it before MS dropped support when I had to put another OS on it about a year and half ago.

Heck it would probably be a good idea to look into the UPS unit for myself as well. I'm retired and stay around the house a lot and any hint of a electrical storm I shut 'er down and unplug everything. Me I'm a gamer and have a lot invested in my rig and flat screen. Saw APS has units but they're more aimed towards the electrical connection or maybe I'm missing something. His problem has been the surges coming through the Cat5 rather than the wall outlet and to me that would be something TimeWarner should address with their grounding method.

Thanks again John you've been a real sport with your advice and pointers and I appreciate it man.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:57 PM

If his funds are limited then the refurbished motherboard would be the way to go. If he only uses email and a business he runs at home and he does not use any proprietary software to conduct his business then you can try linux. You do not even have to install it. You can easily run it off a DVD and RAM. This would give you an idea on if it suits his needs. Linux Mint or Ubuntu are the most popular distros. And most all software available for windows has an equivalent for linux. Instead of a DVD you can also create a bootable USB flash drive with persistence so you can save programs you add.

#9 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

I was missing something... CyberPower does make one that looks like you put it inline to stop surges for everything, co-ax cable,Cat5, usbs, elec outlet the works. They're proud of it too to the tune of 165 bucks.

Also saw some ethernet surge protectors and they got good reviews from Florida the lightning strike capital of the world.

I've been wanting to look into Linux and Ubuntu for quite a spell and have a friend who's a trucker wants all his laptops using those OS's and wants me to hook him up with it. Didn't know you can run it off a DVD and the USB option is a real plus thats where I put a lot of my stuff. You just can't beat a USB3.0 128gb and the prices are very reasonable these days. From what I do understand about those OS is their open source and always being updated with better ideas.

You know thats one thing I really like about BleepingComputer you get straight answers and none of that claptrap from wannabes that really tend to aggravate more than help. 

Will definitely look into Linux Mint and Ubuntu....thanks.

Edited by tazmo8448, 13 April 2015 - 07:17 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:13 PM

Cyberpower makes good UPS's but I think you can get one cheaper. Here is one for $125

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102070

#11 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:27 PM

Those are good ones but still leaning towards the individual ethernet surge protectors for a lot less $$$ but that is one thing too that you have to consider, is a 25 dollar unit worth it if you loose a 1000 dollar set up. My experience has been to establish a darn good overall ground like ten feet in the ground copper rod and not to the water pipes. I've been lucky so far have had neighbors lose air conditioners and all sorts of things to lightning. 

Here's a good little deal for the money

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107141

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users