Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 x64 frequent BSOD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tafkan

Tafkan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:58 PM

The problem itself seems quite common according to google, but none of the solutions I've attempted so far (included further down in the post) seem to help. Basically, the system frequently crashes and recovers from an unexpected error. It never happens when the computer is idle and I can also watch youtube videos for prolonged periods of time with no issues whatsoever, but the moment I open anything vaguely resembling a video game (even a really old one), within <10 minutes the monitor turns off (as if it lost all input signal) and the computer restarts, giving me a "Windows has recovered from an unexpected error" or some such afterwards.

The computer itself is somewhat old and has been powered down for well over a year, so the first thing I did was look inside the case if it perhaps needed dusting, but it was remarkably clean. I did spray it with some compressed air anyway to be sure, but that did precisely nothing to solve the problem.

Here are my specs:
Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5500 @ 2.80GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
~4gb RAM

What I figured out so far:
Faulty RAM does not appear to be the problem according to several passes by memtest.
Both WhoCrashed and BlueScreenView seem to point toward nvlddmkm.sys causing problems during each crash. BSV also seems to think a certain dxgkrnl.sys messed up.

What I have tried so far with no effect:
Left memtest on overnight. Can't remember how many passes it did off my head, but found no errors.
Dusted the computer and ensured the fan works properly. It certainly seems to. I have had this computer for a long time and have not changed the power supply, still sticking it in the same socket I always used to back when it worked fine, so that is not a likely cause either.
Totally and utterly removed all traces of NVIDIA display drivers from my computer, then reinstalled the latest ones.
Completely removed them again, this time installing progressively older ones. Also reinstalled DirectX.
Changed the nvlddmkm.sys to nvlddmkm.sys.old, got my nvlddmkm.sy_ from the NVIDIA directory, extracted the new file and replaced it.

Added BlueScreenView report and DxDiag as attachments.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:16 PM

Check the fan on your graphics card (if it has one), it sounds like it is overheating.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 passacaglia

passacaglia

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:10 PM

Your video card seems not to be up to newer gaming. So overheat could be a problem.

Your card needs a minimum of 300 Watts of system power requirement. So, your power source should be higher than that.

Since it is old there's no harm in checking the output wattage. I'm no electrician but I know that hardware stores sell watt control metering just as they sell the voltage meters. Some friend of yours could lend you one for a couple of hours if he has one.

If you are very close to the required 300W (i.e. 350W) or below this I would change the power source.

The power source is a vital component of a computer. If it's not adequate to the requirements you will have serious problems. It's better to spend a bit more for a higher than required wattage than to stick to the nominal requirements the hardware manufacturer defines.

Edited by passacaglia, 11 April 2015 - 08:22 PM.

#4 Tafkan

Tafkan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:17 AM

I tried the overheating version first. According to SpeedFan, the GPU temperature was over the top. Since only one of my three fans was working (or actually connected for that matter), I connected another. The GPU temperature was almost halved as a result. I believe that may have been the problem, should be solved now. Will post back if the BSODs continue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users