Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet being bogged down for no apparent reason

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 jtbear

jtbear

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

Hello, b.c. I've been trying to search up possible solutions online, but haven't found much yet. I just downloaded and installed linux for the first time, because my Windows OS has been having a lot of problems lately. I downloaded Deepin, which I like so far, except that the internet get's bogged down whenever I use it. I can't download anything off of the store, and web pages usually take minutes to load, if they do at all. I closed all programs except for the computer monitor, used the terminal to make sure no programs were connecting to the internet, and it showed it was still using up most of the bandwidth.

Not sure what else to try. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

edit: it's a wired connection, not wifi.

Edited by jtbear, 11 April 2015 - 04:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:52 PM

Hi and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Can you please explain:

1) how you used the terminal to make sure that no programs were connecting to the internet, and

2) what was using up most of the bandwidth?

#3 jtbear

jtbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

I typed in lsof -i to see if any were. At least I think that's what it does anyway. Not very computer/linux literate yet.

I don't know. That's what is really confusing me.

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:23 PM

I would try using netstat.

Here is some more info on netstat:

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/03/netstat-command-examples/

If you could run a test at speedtest.net and paste a link to the results of your test into a post here, that would give us an idea of what bandwidth you have.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:44 PM

jtbear, I think you just need to Update all packages.  To do so in the terminal sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade.  Then enable the firewall:

To Install: sudo ufw enable

To check status: sudo ufw status verbose

Status should look like this:

youruser@yourcomputer:~$ sudo ufw status verbose

[sudo] password for youruser:

Logging: on (low)

Default: deny (incoming), allow (outgoing)

New profiles: skip

youruser@yourcomputer:~$

pcpunk out!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:55 PM

jtbear,  :welcome: to Linux discussion of BC Forums!

One thing you may want to try & this applies to whether or not the connection is wired or wireless. If you're plugged straight into a modem (bad idea security wise), unplug the power & let it stand for a minute & re-plug back in. If you're wired to a router, as many of us are, do the same with it. 

This resets things & will often restore speed. In fact, if you were to call your ISP for service, that's the first thing they'd ask you to do for troubleshooting, unpower both, let stand for a minute & re-power. None of your settings will be lost in the process & the whole deal takes just a couple of minutes. Then retest your speed using the speedtest.net site.

http://www.speedtest.net/

It helps many & why I'm mentioning it as a possible solution.

Good Luck!

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 jtbear

jtbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:48 PM

Hey, thanks. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Had some more computer problems.

Yeah I'm plugged into a router, not the modem. I tried but couldn't get speedtest to load. Figured out that what's always hogging up the bandwidth is the deepin store checking for new updates all the time though. If I don't open that app after logging in, sometimes it won't start up, and I can actually get on the internet!  :thumbsup: Which is good, because Vista has officially blue screened me.

Is there a way to disable it without removing packagekit (I think that's what it is?)? Do I even need it if I just use what pcpunk said?

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:19 AM

Is this a Vista or Linux issue? A dual boot system? I replied, than after looking at deepin, realized it's a Linux distro. This would have nothing with Vista having BSOD's, unless it's being ran in a virtual machine inside of that OS. Nothing whatsoever. In such a case, you would need to check out the Vista section of the forum out if your BSOD's continues. 

Which is good, because Vista has officially blue screened me.

Your store shouldn't be constantly updating like that, if so, maybe remove it with the Package Manager & reinstall it with the same. Have never seen this type of issue with a Linux OS, though there's a first for everything. Sorry that I misunderstood the post made that's revised with this one. You should fully update your system as pcpunk indicated above. I take it this is the store you're speaking of?

http://www.linuxdeepin.com/feature

Still, unless you're running this as a VM on Vista, wouldn't have the first thing to do with that OS. Should you continue to have issue with that OS, you may want to create a Topic here about it. Be sure to provide as many details as necessary, so that other members can assist. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/72/windows-vista/

Hope this is of some help to you.  :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 14 April 2015 - 12:58 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 jtbear

jtbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:31 AM

Nah it's my bad. It's a duel boot system. I don't want to fix it. Just been keeping it until I could get linux set up and be sure it'll work ok, that's all. Sorry for the confusion

Yup, that's it. Always busy checking repositories and whatnot. Ok will see if I can tonight.

#10 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:52 AM

What could help us to help ..could be a screenshot of any processes running in any system / process  monitor   or try typing in your terminal

htop

if its installed....I don't  use Ubuntu based Distros, and have never tried Deepin...

another thing to check for us would be where your Repositaries are being acessed from ....that would be in a software center or update setting somewhere...I have a reccolection of Deepin only connecting to its Chinese server which was mega slow ..which could be why its hogging the bandwidth.....maybe try a different mirror 

as it's a dual boot check your clock and see if its showing the right time. as Linux uses a different time method than windows  and will continually cancel each other out...

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:06 AM

If htop isn't installed, try

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:25 PM

jtbear, I think you just need to Update all packages.  To do so in the terminal sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade.  Then enable the firewall:

To Install: sudo ufw enable

To check status: sudo ufw status verbose

Status should look like this:

youruser@yourcomputer:~$ sudo ufw status verbose

[sudo] password for youruser:

Logging: on (low)

Default: deny (incoming), allow (outgoing)

New profiles: skip

youruser@yourcomputer:~$

pcpunk out!

Do this before any thing else! this is probably what is causing all your issues.

Edited by pcpunk, 13 April 2015 - 12:45 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

Hey, thanks. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Had some more computer problems.

Yeah I'm plugged into a router, not the modem. I tried but couldn't get speedtest to load. Figured out that what's always hogging up the bandwidth is the deepin store checking for new updates all the time though. If I don't open that app after logging in, sometimes it won't start up, and I can actually get on the internet!  :thumbsup: Which is good, because Vista has officially blue screened me.

Is there a way to disable it without removing packagekit (I think that's what it is?)? Do I even need it if I just use what pcpunk said?

Update and install the Firewall first.  That command will set the firewall up so that it runs at every startup automatically!

1. Why don't you post your system specs including your HDD drive size.

2. IMO you should fix Vista first then install linux, this way you will have both worlds to work with.  I guess you could also install linux now and it would work out fine.  But if you are not  going to use Vista then why don't you just get rid of it otherwise you are wasting drive space and will have to re-install anyway.

We could help you with install setup also, partition sizes and such. 

3. Did you test-drive this distro with the LiveDVD?

4. I see that you are new here, if you like this site, it might be good to get advice as to which distro to install, there is a wealth of knowledge here.  That way you will have someone else that can help you along. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 jtbear

jtbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

@ shadow-warrior, deepin software center comes with a speed test to see which mirror is the fastest. When I changed it to one closer to me, it started another check for updates.

Yeah it doesn't have htop but top worked (Thanks AI1000) Here's a copy/paste:

Spoiler

@ pcpunk, I did the updates yesterday. That's was my plan, but I'm dirt poor right now, live out in the middle of nowhere, and the nearest library with public computer's is a long ways away, so this computer is more or less all I have for internet access. Wanted to make sure could get this to work first. Maybe you're right about trying to keep Vista though.

I tried doing a test-drive of deepin, but couldn't get it to do that from my usb drive. All it would let me do is install it. Actually downloaded ubuntu and got that to run from it though.

System Type: 64bit
Processor: Intel® Pentium® Duel CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz x 2
Memory: 3.86 GB
Disk: 360 GB

It's getting pretty old too.

I am absolutely, without a doubt 100% sure now though, it's the thing that checks for new updates. I don't know why, but it seems to trigger all the time (I can see it running at the bottom of deepin store's "upgrade" tab), and it's only when it's running that it's a problem, so that has to be it.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:46 PM

@ pcpunk, I did the updates yesterday. That's was my plan, but I'm dirt poor right now, live out in the middle of nowhere, and the nearest library with public computer's is a long ways away, so this computer is more or less all I have for internet access. Wanted to make sure could get this to work first. Maybe you're right about trying to keep Vista though.

I tried doing a test-drive of deepin, but couldn't get it to do that from my usb drive. All it would let me do is install it. Actually downloaded ubuntu and got that to run from it though.

System Type: 64bit
Processor: Intel® Pentium® Duel CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz x 2
Memory: 3.86 GB
Disk: 360 GB

It's getting pretty old too.

I am absolutely, without a doubt 100% sure now though, it's the thing that checks for new updates. I don't know why, but it seems to trigger all the time (I can see it running at the bottom of deepin store's "upgrade" tab), and it's only when it's running that it's a problem, so that has to be it.

Disclaimer lol: I am not an advanced user in fact just the opposite, I am just trying to help out as much as I can with the best advice I have.

1. I might be right about Vista but if you don't have the time or space then that's up to you, yes it is good to have it though.

2. You don't have a functioning Optical Drive to do this from? that would be better.  

3. Okay this helps, and, you have a good size HDD.  So maybe you should keep Vista lying around there for a while until you can fix it, especially if you don't have the factory restore disks.

4. Not pushing but it would be nice to know what brand and model also if you don't mind, some of us like that info too.

5. Can you take a screenshot of the issue and post it here? 

My suggestion would be to try another distro if that is convenient, if not then continue on here.  Do so via LiveDVD if possible.  Get the DVD-RW Re-writeable, so that you can reuse if you need to-on your budget.  Or continue to use the USB if you have too, DVD is better IMO especially if the USB is really old.

I did a little reading on Deepin and there seems to be some issues with the Updates and the mirror being in China.  You never said what Mirror you chose, or it chose?  

One guy reported after an install it took all night to Update it.  There are too many good distro's out there to bother with that.  I think your issue is with this and your updates are not complete.  Also be careful using the Library for all this as some public libraries have really bad connections.  You might just try the Updates again when you are there, but, you might be there for a long time.  Really you should move on, IMO only.  You don't need all these headaches especially if you NEED to use this for important contacts and such.  

Just ask here for advice on what distro to run, then you will be good to go! install, browse the internet, play music etc.

Hope this helps pcpunk out!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users