@ pcpunk, I did the updates yesterday. That's was my plan, but I'm dirt poor right now, live out in the middle of nowhere, and the nearest library with public computer's is a long ways away, so this computer is more or less all I have for internet access. Wanted to make sure could get this to work first. Maybe you're right about trying to keep Vista though.
I tried doing a test-drive of deepin, but couldn't get it to do that from my usb drive. All it would let me do is install it. Actually downloaded ubuntu and got that to run from it though.
System Type: 64bit
Processor: Intel® Pentium® Duel CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz x 2
Memory: 3.86 GB
Disk: 360 GB
It's getting pretty old too.
I am absolutely, without a doubt 100% sure now though, it's the thing that checks for new updates. I don't know why, but it seems to trigger all the time (I can see it running at the bottom of deepin store's "upgrade" tab), and it's only when it's running that it's a problem, so that has to be it.
Disclaimer lol: I am not an advanced user in fact just the opposite, I am just trying to help out as much as I can with the best advice I have.
1. I might be right about Vista but if you don't have the time or space then that's up to you, yes it is good to have it though.
2. You don't have a functioning Optical Drive to do this from? that would be better.
3. Okay this helps, and, you have a good size HDD. So maybe you should keep Vista lying around there for a while until you can fix it, especially if you don't have the factory restore disks.
4. Not pushing but it would be nice to know what brand and model also if you don't mind, some of us like that info too.
5. Can you take a screenshot of the issue and post it here?
My suggestion would be to try another distro if that is convenient, if not then continue on here. Do so via LiveDVD if possible. Get the DVD-RW Re-writeable, so that you can reuse if you need to-on your budget. Or continue to use the USB if you have too, DVD is better IMO especially if the USB is really old.
I did a little reading on Deepin and there seems to be some issues with the Updates and the mirror being in China. You never said what Mirror you chose, or it chose?
One guy reported after an install it took all night to Update it. There are too many good distro's out there to bother with that. I think your issue is with this and your updates are not complete. Also be careful using the Library for all this as some public libraries have really bad connections. You might just try the Updates again when you are there, but, you might be there for a long time. Really you should move on, IMO only. You don't need all these headaches especially if you NEED to use this for important contacts and such.
Just ask here for advice on what distro to run, then you will be good to go! install, browse the internet, play music etc.
Hope this helps pcpunk out!