Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Testdriving Linux

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:48 PM

Hey guys, I want to be sure about suggesting someone test-drive a linux distro, it's safety and specific things to look out for when suggesting that someone try it out.

I recently tried to install Mint 13's on my Acer as some of you know.  It caused problems with my XP install and quite sure someone else has run into some similar issues .

For instance, is it safe to test-drive with Secure Boot/UEFI, does it need to be turned off, or is that just with an install?

I would hate to boot linux up in someone else's computer and have system problems.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:14 PM

I want to be sure about suggesting someone test-drive a linux distro, it's safety and specific things to look out for when suggesting that someone try it out.

Good idea PC.

For instance, is it safe to test-drive with Secure Boot/UEFI, does it need to be turned off, or is that just with an install?

I don't have secure boot/UEFI so I'd be interested to know this as well.

Here's an image I took a few days ago that anyone can use, when giving advice on how to set up the root partition for installation. To embed this image in other posts on bleeping computer, paste the url into your post using the image tag.

[img=http://www.bleepstatic.com/fhost/uploads/3/mint_install_2.png]

mint_install_2.png

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:48 AM

specific things to look out for when suggesting that someone try it out.

One of the selling points is that you can try many distros from a live-cd without making changes to your computer. I think it's important to clarify any changes the user makes to the live filesystem will be erased because they are stored in ram, if the user makes changes to data elsewhere on the computer those changes will remain.

is it safe to test-drive with Secure Boot/UEFI

Yes, but you'll only be able to test Linux distros that work with Secure Boot enabled.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,027 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:13 AM

Many of the popular Linux distros are now reported to have the needed 'keys', like hollowface points out, there's nothing wrong with a 'boot & see' approach. 

If it won't boot the distro, chances are it doesn't have the key. And chances are, Mint 13 doesn't, unless they've revised the ISO's. 

I have seen Mint 17 boot to a Secure Boot enabled computer, though it was downloaded & the USB drive was created on the computer using Rufus, and there was a setting for UEFI/GPT, just can't remember the specifics. I do remember that it booted and ran fine via USB, though don't know if he installed it, he seemed a bit edgy about a install, and I didn't push the issue. 

As long as there's no attempt to install, no damage is done. 

I would hate to boot linux up in someone else's computer and have system problems.

Just don't try an install & you'll be fine. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 12 April 2015 - 04:32 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:34 PM

I have seen Mint 17 boot to a Secure Boot enabled computer

Works fine, so does ubuntu14.04.01 and open suse.  That doesn't mean the derivitives have it.  If the person wants to keep some windows, I recommend using uefi instead of turning it on and off every time, at least in my opinion.   And several people have posted links about making your own keys on here.  Now if I could figure out what is said.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:56 PM

That doesn't mean the derivitives have it.

That's correct, not all of the derivatives will have the needed signing key. 

Booting & running these from Live Media are fine, just keep in mind to create a Full Disk image before messing around with an install, or at a minimum, make sure the Recovery Media set (3 to 5 DVD's) has been created & are available. The reason why I bring this up is due to the picture (or screenshot) in Post #2. A 500.1GiB drive is not a Flash one & this is in Install Mode. 

If there's any doubt as to how to backup (full drive image), please Stop and ask for assistance. We'll be glad to help. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users