Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop screen white-washing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JasonRJ

JasonRJ

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:38 PM

Hello all. I have a weird issue with the LCD screen of a laptop producing some strange output. It started with needing a new inverter. Replaced that and thought that the new one was faulty. Put in another new one with same result. Never seen this happen before, and I wonder if any of you have. Please check these out. It goes from normal Attached File  20150403_170924 (Medium).jpg   79.87KB   0 downloads to this   Attached File  20150403_170902 (Medium).jpg   44.31KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:49 PM

It would help if you posted the make and model of this computer.

It would also help to know what operating system you are using.

Does this persist in Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JasonRJ

JasonRJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:17 PM

Its a sony vaio vgn-fw235j. Operating system is not of consequence because the screen slowly whites out over about 30 seconds regardless of stage in booting. When the video cable from lcd to motherboard is disconnected and reconnected the screen becomes normal and whitwashes to a negative effect slowly again.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:31 AM

I realize that I've asked you to do something which doesn't make any sense to you, but neither does this problem.  Yet you came here looking for help, but determine that the operating system is inconsequential.  If you are not interested in answering these questions, then I can't help you. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 JasonRJ

JasonRJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:59 AM

Sorry didn't mean to offend. Just wanted to avoid all the "is the computer plugged in an powered on" troubleshooting. Its using win 7 x64 pro.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:17 PM

That has nothing to do with the make and model of your computer.  

Until I find indications that there could be a user error causing a problem I will not ask if your refrigerator is running.

#7 JasonRJ

JasonRJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:43 PM

How about keeping the attitude to a minimum. Better yet don't help. I don't require ASSistance from someone who enjoys belittling other to get his rocks off.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:33 PM

There is no attitude on my part, I have made no attempt to belittle you.  But it does appear that you expect this.  It's as if you have had a bad experience at another website and expect the same thing here. I hate to disappoint you, but it ain't going to happen with me.

You took my attempt at levity to be demeaning, actually I thought the idea of checking your refrigerator was funny.  At least that was where I was trying to go.  How further removed from a computer could a refrigerator be?

The bottom line is you need to have a little good faith and provide requested information in order for others to help you.  If you have a question regarding the requested information... by all means ask about it.

Dan

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:48 PM

The inverter only powers the backlight. It looks like the backlight is working so I think it is safe to say that component is ok. Generally white washing is caused by a loose connection of the ribbon cable either at the LCD panel end, or the motherboard end. It could also be a faulty LCD ribbon cable. You can physically manipulate the cable while the computer is on and running, do this gently to prevent unplugging the cable while the computer is on. I generally flex the cable with my hands at the points where the cable bends near the hinges. Typically that is the location cables wear out first from years of opening/closing. If you notice any flashing or video artifacts while manipulating the cable, my bet is you have a bad cable.

The next possibility is a faulty LCD panel. You would need an extra panel to test with to rule this part out unfortunately. Cables are cheaper than lcd panels so I would vote for replacing the lcd ribbon cable before throwing money at a new lcd panel.

Lastly, you may have a video chipset problem. Can you attach an external monitor and let us know the results of that? If an external monitor works fine, typically it means the video chipset is ok, that doesn't rule out a motherboard problem 100% of the time but it is a good thing to test.

Edited by zingo156, 13 April 2015 - 03:49 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#10 JasonRJ

JasonRJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:00 PM

I think it is the cable. I probably caused an open ground on the cable from when i disconnected it. Should of been a bit more gentile with it. My fault then. Thanks DC3 and zingo156 (and sorry DC3, not sure how to take jokes and all these past couple weeks).

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:08 AM

I think it is the cable. I probably caused an open ground on the cable from when i disconnected it. Should of been a bit more gentile with it. My fault then. Thanks DC3 and zingo156 (and sorry DC3, not sure how to take jokes and all these past couple weeks).

It happens. Those cables are pretty touchy, especially after years of flexing from opening/closing. The good news is cables are generally pretty cheap somewhere around $20-$40 new. Allthough most "new" cables I purchased from ebay were definitely installed in a laptop at some point. If you do order a new ribbon cable, make sure you use the part number on the cable itself to source a new part.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users