Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting from scratch with windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tds524

tds524

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:51 AM

Shot and burried Windows XP in the backyard. Ssshh don't tell anyone, I was running Norton Security Suite with Norton tool bar. Since I'm starting new with 7 is there something better than the Norton Suite? Like everyoneone on here I do believe it was slowing things down.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 April 2015 - 08:00 AM.
moved from Windows 7 to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:59 AM

Hello there,

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. Please read:Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:Here are links to polls about this very subject:My personal recommendation is Emsisoft Anti-Malware as it is lightweight, features both AV & AM protection, easy to use and have very good customer support.

Regards,
Alex

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:30 AM

You did not say if you would prefer a free product or one that must be purchased.

I will address for purchase products if you are considering that option.

Do NOT purchase it right off the bat. REPUTABLE products will offer a trial period, generally 30 days, so you can take it for a test drive.

Testing it will give you a chance to see if it plays nice with your system, check out the user interface, etc.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware, mentioned by Alex, does have a trial. Try it for free option is half-way down the page.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:47 PM

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. However, there can be some overlap in functionality and detection features depending on the program's scanning engine, how the vendor defines a specific threat and what Naming Standards are used. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything.In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.

Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.Please read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users