Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE7 won't connect to some secure websites

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 WindowsHatesMe

WindowsHatesMe

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:29 AM

So I do not actually know how long I've had this issue. I recently tried to log into yahoo messenger and couldn't. I hit troubleshoot and it said because Internet Explorer couldn't make a secure connection to the yahoo login page. Well, great, yahoo's entire messaging client is based off a very buggy browser. Though, as far as I could remember, I would have to try to login twice or thrice until it finally would let me in (early signs IE7 wasn't going to work anymore?)

I wipe the dust off IE7 on my WIN XP machine and try to go to login.yahoo.com It says the page can't be displayed (as if I'm not even connected to the internet) 

So I immediately thought it was some kind of SSL problem (but a lot of websites use TLS now? I don't know too much about this stuff. I think IE7 on WIN XP doesn't support anything past TLS 1.0, but it supports SSL 3.0 and 2.0. I tried a few other websites, including google.

While I can log into a google account by going to google.com and hitting sign in, I can't access gmail at all. I just get a "page can't be displayed" also. I then tried hotmail/outlook and it connected and worked fine. download.microsoft.com doesn't load. It really seems to be hit or miss whether a secure website will connect or not. When connected successful to a secure website I can check the certificate info normally and everything. I don't get any SSL errors at all. Either a page will load, or won't load.

I'm trying to figure out if this means I have some kind of virus or websites are just uses different security technologies that IE on WIN XP doesn't support (I read that certain things like SNI are available on IE 7/8 for Vista and above, but not XP.) I tried using IE8 on a VISTA computer and that worked fine, but I also noticed the cipher strength in the about section is 128 bit for IE8 on Vista, while IE7 on my WIN XP machine is 128bit. I don't know if this makes a difference.

I've tried disabling antivirus/firewall, restarting modem/router/clearing ssl slate/using ccleaner to empty all temporary files, and also re-registering dlls that pertain to this stuff. I've done scans with spybot/malwarebytes/kaspersky/panda and they've found nothing. I've disabled all plugins in IE7 too. My hijackthis came out clean, hasn't changed for the last few years (I'm not a complete noob at PC security, I am just puzzled by this issue) ipconfig looks good. I even did a disk scan and no errors were found. I also checked event viewer and nothing was out of the ordinary. I tried my earliest system restore point and it fixed nothing either. To be honest I don't know how I would even get a virus because I pretty much have my browsers on lock down. I keep java/acrobat reader/and flash disabled unless on a legit website (like youtube) I even disable javascript when internet surfing.

Now something else I tried was using a website that takes screenshots of webpages using different browser versions. I tried going to the trouble sites using IE7, and they worked (but it doesn't make clear if it was IE7 on XP or VISTA, and from what I gather on the internet, it's entirely different on each OS) I then tried using IE6, which is XP only, and the one I tried (before I got kicked off for too many browser screenshot attempts) gave the same display error... in another language anyway. 

Now just to be clear my other browsers still work flawlessly. I was going to try to install IE8, but it seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth as Microsoft pushes all their new OS and IE, and I don't trust 3rd parties when it comes to system components. I went to the yahoo messenger page and it still says it's compatible with Windows XP. I wonder if this is some kind of practical joke.

So I guess my question is if this is behavior of some deeply-rooted virus or if major sites just won't accept connections from old, insecure browsers (which I really don't understand why that would be. Isn't it the client's risk he's taking if insecurely connecting to a website? Why would it completely block me out?)

update: So I checked who signed the certificates, and it seems anything signed by Verisign I've checked so far will work on IE7, but Symantec, Rapidssl, and Google authority do not allow IE7 to connect. On IE7 The main yahoo page is signed by Verisign, and it allows me to connect with SSL. Once I hit sign in, it tries to use a Symantec certificate instead, which doesn't allow the connection. I tried going to two bank sites. bankofamerica's won't allow the connection (symantec) but tdbank's will (verisign)

update2: So I checked the certificate on login.yahoo.com it says it expires 3/30/16. Don't certificates usually last exactly, give or take a few days, a year? So if they recently updated the certificate it would have been in the beginning of april/last day of march which means it would have started to cause me this trouble last week (This is the first time I tried to log into yahoo in about 5 days). I think. Did I just answer my own problem?

Edited by WindowsHatesMe, 11 April 2015 - 07:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:30 AM

You access the Yahoo Messenger through Yahoo email.

According to Yahoo, you should be able to access Messenger using IE 8 or later. Of course, other browsers such as Firefox, Safari and Google Chrome

allow access, too.

More info: Yahoo Messenger - Chat, Instant message, SMS, Video Call, PC Calls

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 WindowsHatesMe

WindowsHatesMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:59 AM

Thanks for the reply. My problem isn't trying to use yahoo's web messenger, it's that I'm trying to use my installed copy of yahoo instant messenger. For whatever reason they programmed it in a way that uses the IE architecture built into windows for logging in, and since my outdated IE won't work right anymore by connecting to the secure login page, I can't even log into the program. It seems to work in the same fashion as a MMORPG pre-loader with a browser window contained inside the program to login/auto-update. I use yahoo for certain tasks that can't be done on the web messenger. 

off topic: How do people still running Win98se even use IE if I can't use IE correctly in Win XP?

Edited by WindowsHatesMe, 11 April 2015 - 07:59 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:55 AM

You can get the official IE8 download here.

If you look at the address, it is a direct link from microsoft.com

http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/C/0/CC0BD555-33DD-411E-936B-73AC6F95AE11/IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:41 AM

Both IE 7 and IE 8 are out of date and unsupported on XP...consequently, many websites (be they secure or not) will not allow access to their sites by computer users with these two browsers.

I use Firefox to access the sites which won't cater to my XP install with IE 8.

Using IE 7...exposes your system to unnecessary exposure to known vulnerabilities that have been resolved by critical updates and IE 8.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 April 2015 - 11:42 AM.

#6 WindowsHatesMe

WindowsHatesMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:13 PM

Oh no I don't use IE7 at all for browsing. This was just testing it out on safe websites. This is why I don't know if this has been going on for a while now and yahoo was just late to the party. For some reason yahoo messenger uses login.yahoo.com through internet explorer inside the program to log me in. I've been looking this up more and I see within the past 5 months a lot of websites have been ditching SSL because of vulnerabilities such as POODLE in favor of TLS The part that makes me scratch my head though is I have TLS 1.0 enabled in internet explorer 7, and the certificates show TLS 1.0 being used.

Edited by hamluis, 23 November 2015 - 12:44 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:05 AM

You wouldn't by chance be using avast for a AV? There have been issues with it connecting to Https sites as it uses its own certificate to scan https sites.

I would remove any AV/Security suite and see if you can connect. I don't think it's wise to change a few dll files from SP3 to SP2. I would go ahead and update fully to SP3. It made many security improvements and once on SP3 you can install all security updates post SP3 which were many.

#8 duryard

duryard

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:05 AM

Been trying for ages to find out why a fresh install of XP on a old Dell would not connect to so many sites. Guess this is the answer. So many site no longer support old IE and XP then

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:22 AM

If you have not updated to SP3 then you will have issues connecting to Https sites. Don't bother with IE. Use Firefox or Chrome. The last IE for XP has security vulnerabilities. I have XP on two computers and do not have an issue connecting to sites and I am using Firefox.

#10 duryard

duryard

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:39 AM

Thanks JohnC_21. Thats what I have done now. Been a struggle but got SP 3 and firefox installed and every thing running sweet now. 

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:39 PM

FWIW:  IE is a must if you want to access Windows Update...but since there are no security updates for the expired XP (other than the Malicious Software Removal Tool, which can be manufally downloaded sans Windows Update)...there is no logical reason why any XP user today attempts to browse with any version of IE.

Louis

#12 LucidGus

LucidGus

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:19 PM

Did you see this thread OP? Sounds like you experienced the same problem:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/597274/xp-problems/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users