Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live Mail error message - "A problem occurred.......

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Saska01

Saska01

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:55 AM

My apologies if this has been gone over before,but i'm asking this in desperation (almost) !.  I used Outlook Express for years when i had Win.XP on my old PC without a single problem. In the last 18 months,since i've had my new PC Win.7 Home Premium 64 bit. i've had to use Windows Live Mail & it's utter c**p !. Almost every day without fail,when trying to send or open an e-mail,i get the rerror message attached.
The only way i can get Live Mail to send or open any e-mail, is to log off & re-boot my PC ,which is a PITA,especially as when a few months ago,i was taking part in some pretty lively correspondence on line.
   Is there a definitive cure for this problem other than switching to another e-mail system  ?. I've searched the I/net for a solution,but all i find are
boat loads of others with exactly the same problem & no answer & definitely no respose from Microsoft.
   I would get rid of Live Mail & install another mail system if only i was sure that i wouldn't make a total mess of it as i'm not 100% PC literate.
So,any serious advice will be deeply appreciated,

Attached Files

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 April 2015 - 07:54 AM.
moved from Windows 7 to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:22 AM

Unfortunately, that error message is pretty generic -- without some sort of error code, it's hard to troubelshoot.

You can try going to the Start menu, select Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features. Select Windows Live Essentials from the list of programs, select Uninstall/Change at the top menu bar, and then select Repair all Windows Live Programs.

#3 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:20 AM

Hello - Thanks for the info.,but i've done the repair thing so many times without success that i've simply quit doing it. WLM always comes back ok after a re-boot,so i'ts not a huge problem, except for when it stops working in the midst of an e-mail 'discussion' such as happened a few months back. Re.an ''error code'' - i understand your point,but where would such a code appear in Win.7 ?.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:55 AM

Go the the Start menu. In the right side menu list, right click Computer and select Manage. In Computer Management, open up Event Viewer. Look in the Windows logs and the Applications and services logs for any errors involving Windows Live Mail or Window Live. If you find any (they'll have red circles with in X in them), open them. There will be the error code, and sometimes a description of what exactly went wrong.

If you can remember when these errors occured, you can search by day and time of day for these error logs.

#5 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:02 AM

Many thanks for your help. I did as you suggested & looked back at 'events' spanning the last 3 months when the WLM 'error' must have occurred dozens of times, & there wasn't a single WLM or WL 'event' to be seen. I have over 43,000 'event's logged, but having seen the lack of results for the last 3 months,there's little hope of seeing any relating to the WLM 'error' spanning the 18 months i've had my current PC. My conclusion is that WLM simply stops performing 'some' functions such as opening or deleting 'saved' e-mails,whilst other 'new' e-mails are handled with no problems. I will however look at any event logs immediately after the next 'error' occurs to see if anything is logged at all,

Many thanks.

Edited by Saska01, 20 April 2015 - 04:03 AM.

#6 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:05 AM

Well,the Live Mail errors go on & on & on & ..................................!!! This morning i wasn't able to read a message or create a new one without the 'A problem has occurred'

message showing up,& again no error codes . Live Mail really is the pits & it's about time that Microsoft did something about these problems ie.a 'new' version with the bugs killed off. There also seems to be no easy way to back up Live Mail e-mail addresses as there was in Outlook Express. You can export the 'contacts' (e-mail  addresses) to a folder in 'Documents',but when i did it,they weren't in any recogniseable format & i wondered if they could be 'imported' to a new e-mail function such as 'Thunderbird' or Microsoft Office Outlook.

How do Microsoft get away with this lack of help for so long ?. Their own 'help' pages as so brief & really don't cover all the faults in Live Mail & as such are pretty useless.

I really wish somebody would re-hash 'Outlook Express' for Windows 7 as a piece of software,i'd be first in line. I didn't have a single problem with OE in all the years i used it.

Just another instance of Microsoft  'improving things worse' ( think Windows 8)

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:59 AM

You might want to consider switching to a different email client like Thunderbird. You'll need to download a tool to do it, but you can transfer your emails over.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/switching-thunderbird

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users