Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Transfer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 paul123103

paul123103

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:30 PM

I had a dell inspiron 5150 for the last 2 years with many many problems, dell finally decided to give me a new computer, i now have a inspiron 9400, differernt hard drives, the only way i can get my information off my old hard drive is to do a data transfer, is there anyone here that can tell me how to do this so i dont have to pay $250 to have it done... THANK YOU!!!

-Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:03 PM

Install the old hdd to the middle connector of the IDE connector, move the jumper on the rear of the old hdd to the slave position, connect the molex power connector, and run the hdd as the slave drive. You will be able to click and drag you information from the slave to the new hdd which is the master.

Another way would be to use a CD or DVD to transfer the information, this will also provide you with back ups incase you ever need it. CDs only have a 700MB capacity, where as the DVD has a 4.7GB capacity, so if you have the option DVDs would be the best way to go.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:11 PM

You can follow dc3's advice for 'slaving' the hard drive if you have a tower to do it on. It won't work on a laptop.

Copying the data onto CD's or DVD's is the easiest/cheapest way to do this.

A really good tool to have is an external hard drive that would plug into both computers (one at a time) via USB. Then you could just copy the data onto the external hard drive and then plug it into the new computer, pasting the data onto the new computer.

I don't know where you got the $250 quote from, but this is a pretty straight forward job for a computer shop. Probably cost from between $40 and $80 to do it around here.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:17 PM

And if you have a USB key, with a decent amount of storage compability, ( like +256MB's ) you could easily do it your self, but it may take a few trips depending on how much you're transfering
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users