Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TL-WN851ND Wireless N PCI Adapter Not Working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:29 AM

Hi,

I recently purchased a TP-Link TL-WN851ND Wireless N PCI Adapter for my self-built PC with Windows 7. Here are the other components:

CPU: Intel Core i7 i7-4790K CPU (Quad Core 4GHz, Socket H3 LGA-1150) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX
Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black

I carefully followed the installation instructions, but got stuck when it said to click on "Network" in the configuration utility (please see image below), because nothing happens when I do so. "Advanced" is the only tab available. If I use the troubleshooter, it says: "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem". If I try to setup a new wireless connection in "Network and Sharing Center", the dialog box disappears and it says "No connections are available" in the bottom right of the screen.

Attached File  tp-linkconfigutl.jpg   70.23KB   2 downloads

If I go to Device Manager there is an exclamation mark next to "Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter". If I right click and click Properties, it says: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I tried reinstalling the driver, but it didn't make any difference.

Please can someone tell me how to stop this from happening and get the card to work?

Thank you,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:04 PM

Uninstall the TpLink software and reboot. According to Wikidev this device uses the Atheros AR9227 chipset.

Download the driver here. 10.0.0.303 win7-10.0.0.303-whql.zip

Click the green download button. It will take a bit before the download begins. Unzip the file to a folder on the desktop. If you have a 64bit system then delete the following files from the unzipped folder.

athr.sys

athrext.cat     (these are 32bit drivers)

netathr.inf

Right click the Wireless device in Device Manager and select Update Driver. Select :Browse My Computer for Driver Software. Point it to the inf file in the folder you unzipped. Reboot.

#3 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't help. I got a message from the manufacturer suggesting installing the driver in safe mode which worked, so it's working fine now.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:16 PM

I am glad everything is working fine now. I will have to remember the Safe Mode fix. Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users