Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer just died on me

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:10 PM

I was internet surfing with Chrome, and the screen went black all of a sudden. My computer rebooted itself, I looked in the event viewer for event code -which was 6008- and started doing an internet search for shutdown and 6008.

My computer crashed again and now when I try to start it, the hard drive indicator led comes on and the DVD drive spins, but the fans don't spin and there is no output to the screen at all.

This really sucks, any ideas of what could be wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:44 PM

My system is a custom build, it's parts are:
Intel i5 4590 CPU
MSI h97 pcmate mobo
Corsair cx600 psu
MSI r7 265 gpu
Samsung 840 evo ssd (boot drive)
WD Blue 1 tb hdd
2x8 GB Kingston valuram
Antec One mid tower case

Edited by yu gnomi, 11 April 2015 - 12:01 AM.

#3 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:26 AM

Probably the PSU has failed.   Error code 6008 is usually caused by thermal events.

Look at the lists of posts on Google https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=event+code+6008&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

#4 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:33 AM

My thinking was that since the DVD drive would spin up, the psu was still good. I was actually thinking my mobo might have bought the farm.

#5 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:26 AM

My thinking was that since the DVD drive would spin up, the psu was still good. I was actually thinking my mobo might have bought the farm.

The PSU has several different supply coils, so some items may work others not.  A PSU is cheaper than a mobo .............

Can you borrow a PSU and try that first?  (Having a spare PSU is a good idea anyway, the damn things always blow when the stores are shut ).

#6 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:38 AM

I don't have spare psu. I have another computer, but I am not really anxious to take it apart for troubleshooting purposes. Is there any other way to determine which is bad?

#7 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:02 AM

A follow up on this topic- I was in between jobs when this happened (which was very inconvenient), and also sans an extra P/S of sufficient wattage to be able to power both my video card (~150 watts) and everything else in my system (total ~ 350 watts).

I have since taken my PC into a local shop, who tested both my P/S and my Motherboard for failure. Both passed, I paid $35 to the shop for the hour of labor they could bill me for, my PC boots up now exactly as if nothing ever happened in the first place.

In short, I don't know what happened to cause the symptoms I initially experienced (no computer activity sans spinning up cd drive).

any suggestions appreciated.

Edited by yu gnomi, 15 June 2015 - 08:59 AM.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:09 PM

Probably some automatic thermal shutdown due to overheating. The shop never told you what the problem was? Weird.

#9 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:08 PM

One thing suggested by the tech, in case it happened again, was to unplug everything connected to the computer (monitor, keyboard, power cord, etc.), and then re-connect and see if it starts up.

The PC has crashed a couple of times since then, both times when attempting to play Diablo3. The first time I tried to simply restart, and it was same symptoms described above (no output to monitor, DVD writer spins up and Hard Drive Activity light turns on, but fans not spinning). I tried turning PSU off and on and restarting, same result.

I unplugged everything from the back of my case, and re-connected everything, and was able to boot my computer as if nothing ever happened.

Second time it crashed, I only disconnected my monitor from my GPU and re-connected it. I was able to boot my computer afterwards.

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:01 PM

Sounds like a dying bios battery. Hard to say what the tech did checked or did anything. You still have the same issue. Everything must be checked again. Was you charged for this non service?

Edited by technonymous, 21 June 2015 - 09:09 PM.

#11 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:34 PM

Another update- my PC is currently sitting in a corner, not connected to any peripheral devices or plugged in. I am now using my old (was XP, now Debian Linux) PC. The trick of disconnecting my monitor from my video card - if it ever was responsible for fixing the problem, no longer fixes the problem. Neither does disconnecting everything, including PSU, and waiting half a minute or so before reconnecting everything. 

When I was trying to turn on my PC after the last crash, the Hard drive activity light comes on, the DVD writer spins up, there is no output to the monitor and the fans don't spin. I will try again tomorrow.

At the risk of throwing out red herrings, the actual crashes I have experienced since getting my PC back from the shop have some commonality and a peculiarity. The common part is that they all happened playing graphic intensive games, and during "transition phases" of the games - when first starting up Diablo 3, and after defeating a boss in Devil May Cry.

The peculiar bit is that, after the 2nd crash, I swapped out my DVI cable for a VGA cable with a DVI adapter. The first time Devil May Cry crashed, I only lost video. The game continued to play, I could hear the audio, and the fans on my case were still spinning. I switched the cables back to DVI cable, and started up Devil May Cry again, and my PC crashed at the exact same point, and I was unable to recover it.

Is this really the sort of trouble that a failing CMOS battery causes? 

I don't really understand what is going on here, and don't know how to troubleshoot this.

#12 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:19 PM

further update - I attempted to boot it up today and was unsuccessful. I called up the shop I took it to before, and they invited me to bring it in, which I did. As I half-expected, as soon as they connected it up and turned it on, it booted as if nothing had ever been wrong with it.

The current theory is that one of my peripheral devices is the cause of my problems. The tech I talked to, offered to keep it overnight and run a diagnostic test on my PC to be sure (I'm pretty sure that will be free of charge). Assuming it passes that, I will then have to figure out which of devices I have to stop using.

This is terra incognita for me. The tech suggested my external HDD, on the basis that he has seen them cause problems like this before. I am thinking possibly my speakers, since they are the oldest hardware I am using (about 10 yrs old I think), and my problems have been occurring while gaming. I also have a cable modem, ps/2 keyboard, trackball mouse (usb),and my monitor (connected to my GPU).

Hopefully it isn't my monitor, since I don't have a spare. Also, hopefully I am not dealing with 2 separate issues- one causing the crashing and another preventing my PC from starting up again.

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:37 PM

There is a lot of things that cause a system to crash or not power on at all.

Bios battery

Dead or dying PSU.

CPU blown out or shorted by to much thermal paste.

Shorts in the system wiring, ports, cpu, motherboard.

Dead motherboard due to bad capacitors or other components. Blown Northbridge/Southerbridge chipset.

Overheated system that killed the cpu.

Failed memory.

Video card blown out not providing video.

#14 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:25 PM

When I bring my case into the shop, everything works flawlessly when the techs attach their own monitor, keyboard, etc. Meanwhile, when I am trying to get it to work at home, I have bewildering problems.

That is why I am thinking all of the stuff inside my case is probably good, and it is probably a peripheral device causing my grief.

#15 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:41 PM

Hopefully final update on this topic: I picked up my computer case from the tech shop and, following the advice of the tech, didn't re-connect my external HDD. I put that in my closet and re-connected everything else. 

So far, so good - I even loaded up Diablo3 and played it for a few seconds. That is as adventurous as I am feeling right now, I am just glad it is working. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users