Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 matt_tty0

matt_tty0

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

This looks like a great place to mingle and discuss some tek.

I am currently working on building a Linux distro using Virtualbox and a Linux live-cd for GNU tools.

This is a nice method for development where the host platform provides additional support for the work.

I grew up on a variety of flavors Unix/Linux, from Redhat, Slackware, Debian, Gentoo, Mandrake, FreeBSD,

and remember how they worked and were designed, and how some things improved, but some things

seemed to get a little strange in the Linux world.

FreeBSD has always been really nice, no radical departures from traditions.

What I want in a Linux distro is to have true bin and sbin paths (no symlinks),

and a FHS filesystem tree with greater control of init and package selection for installs,

and choices for declining specific packages that may not be wanted or needed.

I want to see an expansion of choices. I remember a time when I could choose individual

packages for an install and had exactly what I wanted on first boot. It was really nice.

It would also be nice to have a Linux systems builder LiveCD with all the libraries and tools

needed to provide a platform from which to build a custom Linux system.

A full compliment of programming languages and libraries for a complete gcc build is the idea.

I have not seen exactly what I wanted that would fill these needs so I have decided to

work on creating my own Linux distro/system builder.

There is a lot to learn and much to design in the process - which brings me here.

Hope to have many good conversations with at least a few of you on these topics.

Cheers

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cwbytez

cwbytez

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:30 PM

Hi matt and welcome to BC forum!
I also interested with linux ( very new to linux actually)
I'm looking forward for your linux distro :)

My native language isn't English,so please point out to me out if I make any grammar mistake :P (i'm not really good at english)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users