Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is my GPU getting hotter each day?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:11 PM

This is what I mean.  I use Asus GPU tweak as a temperature checking program.  It has a max temperature on it where the highest temperature it reaches shows up.  It doesn't stay at that temperature but its the highest temperature it reached.  Why does it do that?  It is a new video card about 2 weeks old.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:38 PM

To give any decent answer, you would need to list Maker / Model / Age / System (XP-Vista-Windows7or 8) ETC

As a very brief answer ,, it should not reflect a temperature above 80C and low 70's are better (again Make, Model, System, Usage) -

Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details - This may be easier.
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Full Directions Here (Only Post the link).

Thank You .

#3 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:24 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4k4zRqxAG2rxqGhKoqgR8nO

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:02 PM

From their site, it should not run much above the low 60'sC

Do you use CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID  or similar to check temps ??

#5 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:43 PM

From their site, it should not run much above the low 60'sC

Do you use CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID  or similar to check temps ??

I use Asus GPU Tweaks.  Which is their program.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:08 AM

Sorry, I was called out -

ASUS GPU Tweak (Windows 7 64bit)

Description GPUTweak 2.8.2.0 ZIP   Link to try the latest version of your tool, or uninstall yours and install this version.

You say >> It has a max temperature on it where the highest temperature it reaches shows up.  It doesn't stay at that temperature but its the highest temperature it reached. <<

Are you aware of the temperatures, or just a line / graph that shows you have reached a certain limit ??

CPU-Z from CPUID tend to show operating temperatures.......

#7 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:42 AM

I updated but no real change in max temperature.  depending on the game it can stay around 66/67 degrees.  Max temperature it shows on the graph is 130 (I feel like this is a melting temperature.)

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:10 PM

130 celcius is a temperature to worry about - if it's real.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:35 PM

130 celcius is a temperature to worry about - if it's real.

It never went that high, thats just the what it shows on the graph.  Highest it went to, that I can confirm is 80 or so.  It didn't stay there long but it did go up to it.

Edited by CalusBlade, 11 April 2015 - 01:35 PM.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:05 PM

depending on the game it can stay around 66/67 degrees.

These are within the Maximum range for a short time.

Your maker says that the 60's (prefer lower 60's) is operating temperature, that is why I opted for you to install a quick readout program, as above.

#11 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:21 PM

I can officially say (or can pretty much say) that there is something wrong with the radeon r9 270 video card.  I am very surprised but I can play final fantasy XIV with my APU (a 6550d - integrated GPU along with a CPU).  CPU temperature is maxes at 68 GPU maxes around 62.  After that CPU goes back down to around 60 and GPU stays round 40-62.  Sometimes will go to 70 but will never stay around that temperature.  (base on what I looked up, safe temperature for my APU is 72.)

As for the programs I used for this.  OCCT and CPUID

Edited by CalusBlade, 11 April 2015 - 09:27 PM.

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:17 PM

The first card that was in your Speccy is the one I rated at mid 60's to low 70 C. I have not looked for any others yet .

Today I have been very busy, so I did not get a chance to look back (except for my early post) Posted Today, 07:05 AM - My local time

I checked your post and one other, then I was not here -

ASUS R9 270 Series << This is what was listed then.

Minor Edit

Edited by noknojon, 11 April 2015 - 10:59 PM.

#13 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:09 AM

Just FYI 70/80°C under load is adequate for GPU's under heavy load, you should ot worry, and the fact that the graph scale reaches 130°C has nothing to do with anything, it's like your car's speedo reaching 160 mph even though it can't go over 130.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:25 AM

Just FYI 70/80°C under load is adequate for GPU's under heavy load, you should ot worry,

@ Datcoolguy

Any temps quoted in my posts are checked with the maker first (and I may allow a bit extra depending on use) ..........

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!" <<< From your signature .

#15 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

I'm sorry, but why do you come here to ask if it's okay and then just shut us up by saying you verified with the OEM?

I have been running my GTX 660 on 75°C under load (Tropical area) for about 5 years and i never had an issue, 70°C sounds like alot, but danger temps are above 80°C.

Hell, i had my laptop's fan go out and ended up using it all the way to 100°C until i managed to get a new one.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users