Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to the forum ; with silly notions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 foxy2015

foxy2015

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:53 PM

Hi folks.

Will is my name.

I suppose I am here like most people I guess. Hoping to find fixes and seek advice for computor problems. Well I am an electrical engineer.  Not software or computor hardware just a plain old engineer trampling around the planet for the last 60 years or so fixing things and trying to design things that wont need fixing in the future.

I have this notion that computors are just a repeat of the way the human mind works.  I guess that is just a reflection of the fact that we created them eh.?  And so they get sick, just like we do and before we can fix em we need to diagnose the problem and then implement a cure just like our doctors do for us. Is that not what allmost all the great fixing programmes do.

Identify an infection and eliminate it, (or try to)

I find it intrigueing that many Quack programs masquerade as doctors, promising a fix which they sometimes do and then proceed to jam our machine up with their own cleverly devised viruses, pups, malware etc etc...... Just like some quack doctors do by pumping bad pills into us. Yeah   the cure can sometimes be worse then the illness to begin with eh.?

I have a bunch of machines.  Three laptops. three pc,s and a few others I enjoy fixing in my spare time.  I give em all a name of their own and personalise em because I see them as little humans.  In need of some TLC from time to time just like us.

Well that me folks.  And my Silly Notions.

Regards all.

Will.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:31 PM

G'day Will, and :welcome: to BC.

Not so silly ....methinks you have hit many and various nails right on the head !

Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 foxy2015

foxy2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:51 AM

Thank you Brian.

I have pulled many very useful fixes and guidances from this site so i deceided to signup. Who knows maybe i might even contribute to helping with a fix someday.

Bye the way .   Say howdy to all the folks in the aus outback from all the folks here in the outback of ould misty Ireland.

Regards.

Will.

#4 cwbytez

cwbytez

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:10 PM

Hey Will,
nice to meet you and welcome to BC forum :)

My native language isn't English,so please point out to me out if I make any grammar mistake :P (i'm not really good at english)

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:59 PM

Welcome; and have lots of fun!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 foxy2015

foxy2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:01 PM

Thank you guys.

You sure make a newbe feel welcome. AY. CW. I recon I have been to that home town of yours a few times. ItsI where all the bad boys hang out eh. :devil:

Roland you sure have made a heafty contribution to the site. 337 posts. AWSOME. :clapping:

Regards.

Will.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:48 PM

Foxy:  Like you I started out as just the engineer but fell for the computer in the early 70's in the Navy.  Done some incredible field repairs in the most remote sites to complete a career of field service engineer and retire.  I maintain a small clientel who call 24/7 when needed just to keep me fit.  Having spent most internet time on professional sites  but found the BC forums to be top notch in the hobby/ professional category.  Users (not meant to be demeaning but often is) still make me shake my head.  The things they stick in places without any thought of what might be in there.  ANd then blame it on the kids.  The question of downloads is another habit I'd like to bust a few fingers over, but my motto saves the day.    BACK UP  BACK UP  BACK UP.    I hope you enjoy your  time here as much as I do.

#8 foxy2015

foxy2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:24 PM

WOW. you have been of some service.  To not just US.of. A.

AY MODS

Obviously I am an OLD timer and wana have some OLD TIMER chat stuff g oin on .   SO.?  Should a new kinda (pensioners. Section) :bananas:  be started here.  YE KNOW what its fab t just talk withhout the pressure of totaly fixin stuff all d time.   JEEEEZE.  i HOPE NOBODY IS GONA GIVE OUT T ME NOW LIKE EH. SO WHY RE YE ON A REPAIR FORUM. DUH.

I should read the fine print of the sign up.

Sorry.

Will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users