Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have two hard drives out of my case - Bad idea or not?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Fluttershy

Fluttershy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:30 PM

I had no room so I had to leave the hard drive out of my case, which makes me have to have the case off....

I know that I'll have to clean dust more often, but is there anything else I should worry about?

I'll attach an image.

Which also brings the question.... Should this be on the internal or external hardware forum? Haha..

(image too big to upload, have imgur instead)

http://i.imgur.com/mfHucXh.jpg

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:49 PM

This is a really bad idea to be honest. The dust will accumulate really fast and it could make your CPU overheat or even create small sparks on the motherboard which would total it and you'll have to change it. I wouldn't leave it in open air like that if I were you, too much risk.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Fluttershy

Fluttershy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:57 PM

This is a really bad idea to be honest. The dust will accumulate really fast and it could make your CPU overheat or even create small sparks on the motherboard which would total it and you'll have to change it. I wouldn't leave it in open air like that if I were you, too much risk.

Then what should I do with the hard drives?

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:59 PM

What case do you have? Most case can hold at least 2 hard drives. How many hard drives do you have installed inside at the moment? None?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Fluttershy

Fluttershy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:00 PM

1 Internal and 2 sitting out the case.

The SSD has my Windows installation on.

and I have no idea about the case, but the computer is a hp pavilion 500

Edited by Fluttershy, 10 April 2015 - 10:01 PM.

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:02 PM

This is the computer you have?

http://www.wfulks.com/baldgamer/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/HP-Desktop-126x150.jpg

I think HP computers can hold a hard drive under the CD/DVD-ROM, can you check if you have a space for it under?

unite_blue.png

#7 Fluttershy

Fluttershy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:04 PM

I could probably take the CD Drive out, I don't use it and it's not hooked up to anything since I used the cables for the Hard Drive.

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:05 PM

You can do that. On top of that, check under the CD/DVD-ROM spot inside the case if there's another small casing for a hard drive. I know our HP 8000, 8200 and 6300 at work do have that small space, and the Pavilion 500 case looks like them.

unite_blue.png

#9 Fluttershy

Fluttershy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:08 PM

Yeah, pretty sure there's another slot for a hard drive next to the cd tray, but it's covered with so many wires, I tried to get the drive in there but it will never fit unless I remove all the wires which I am way too lazy to do.. Might do it sometime but I have some stuff running so it'll have to be at night.

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:10 PM

So basically, if you remove the CD/DVD-ROM and do a bit of cable management, all your hard drives should fit in that case (surprisingly). Also, you can make use of these little "hooks" and other "pins" HP have in their cases to pass wires under it so they don't get in the way.

unite_blue.png

#11 Fluttershy

Fluttershy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:18 PM

I hate HP though... dunno why I bought this computer with the 'Safe Boot' protection on, had to disable that just to install Win 8

Edited by Fluttershy, 10 April 2015 - 10:18 PM.

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:55 PM

Pretty much all of them comes with it now I think. Now at work, we ditched the HP 6300 and the Dell E6530 as our "new" desktops and laptops we are giving to the employees for Lenovo desktops and laptops. To successfully launch an image via SCCM and install it, we have to disable the Secure Boot and change the boot mode to Legacy in the BIOS. We didn't have to worry about that back then with the 6300 and E6530.

unite_blue.png

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:24 PM

Well...my experience is that there is no harm in doing so...I've done it for a number of years due to my lazy nature and the fact that I fool around a lot with drives and my two desktops.  And I haven't put the side door on my cases in years...because I like to fiddle with components and I'm lazy.  As for dust concerns...I routinely use canned air and a small brush to minimize/neutralize any possible overheating due to dust/debris (I don't have pets and my computers are in a apartment building).

I've had them flat...standing on the small/narrow end...leaning against the case...at no time did I perceive any problem with whatever arrangement I chose to employ.  It's only during the last year that I decided to put them all inside the bays built for them :).

I initially started doing this because I had a number of smaller drive (1GB or less) and a lot of items I wanted duplicates of, backups, and movies.  The advent of 2TB drives and larger has convinced me to just set my smaller drives aside.

The one thing which I suppose could happen...is loosening of the connections to the drive, depending on what type of connectors you use.

Laying the drives flat on a hard surface would possibly lead to overheating of the drive, if done for a protracted period.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 April 2015 - 04:21 PM.

#14 Fluttershy

Fluttershy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:59 AM

Interesting to know that, Louis.

Thanks for the good read. :)

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

#15 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:24 PM

Over the many years I have seen just about every conceivable hardware Rube Goldberg hookups for components that wouldn't fit inside the case or in my personal case, I'm always copying someones stuff off their old drives to put in their new machine but it has to be stressed that it needs to be shielded and grounded.  A simple external enclosure with a USB interface makes far too easy to even retrofit with direct cabling but shielding and grounding are important.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users