Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Introduction

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 passacaglia

passacaglia

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:50 PM

Hello Bleeping Community

I entered this forum to learn. I am no stranger to computers having had to learn programming in Fortran IV during my college years (1965-1969), when nobody imagined something like a PC.

As you can see from my college years I'm no longer a kid. For Montecarlo simulations we had to use a monstrous machine that occupied a whole room. I don't really recall but I think it was an IBM 1620. I had to program it with punched cards and one teeny mistake and I had to start all over again. Plus going through all the cards to find where the mistake was. So you could just punch one card and reuse all the others again. It would have been fun, but we had deadlines.

I received my first PC in the office I worked in at the time. It had two slots named the A drive and the B drive. You used those big black floppy magnetic disks. Two of them. One for the OS (which was DOS) and the other for what you were going to do.

So I had to learn to program in DOS. And the CRT screen showed only characters in green. Forget about speed. The first time a PC reached the office with a CPU of 1MHz there was a commotion all around.

This is supposed to be only an introduction, but I thought some history from an old timer could be fun.

This is my computer now  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/rlSzqhUOMGdkyPpZKb6hqPv

We've come a long way since the IBM 1620

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users