Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Restarts & Shutdowns

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 8Bitgrass

8Bitgrass

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:39 PM

So back during summer I built a computer. I couldn't get it to run until a couple weeks ago. Something was just plugged in wrong and I didn't have the time to look at it. I recently have had a problem with the computer though. When I'm just on the internet browser or something else the computer will restart after a few hours. The computer screen will turn black when I'm running games like Watch Dogs, which is a high graphic game. There is no error that pops up on the screen when it turns black. It's literally just a black screen.I noticed the last time the screen turned black after playing a game there was an A and 2 at the bottom right, if that means anything. I looked at event viewer on the computer and it said "Kernal 41 Error". I don't really remember all the computer parts, and don't have the tools installed on the computer, so if you guys could supply some links to the tools I'll gladly use them so you can see the parts inside my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:04 PM

Welcome,

I think I'd start here;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

and take a look at what the temps are running.

The other helpful piece of information will be your hardware specs, if there are any not listed in the speccy report.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 8Bitgrass

8Bitgrass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:16 PM

Alright, thanks for the response. Currently right now I can't get the computer to boot up, because this is what it does after shutting down. I forgot to include that when it shuts down I can turn it back on but what happens is it acts like its starting up the light in the front turns on and it makes sounds. The problem is that nothing is popping up, like it doesn't show on the screen that its booting up and the fans won't start up. All this happens only when the computer crashes. When I wait about like a few hours, it allows me to boot it up again for a couple hours and its all working. Once it has been around 2-3 hours, then the computer will crash again and shutdown. Once I can get the computer back up and running I'll install that program.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:53 PM

I sounds very much like a heat problem.

Make sure everything inside is clear of dust and that the cables aren't obstructing air flow or fan operation. And, make sure that the fans are running.

Dick

Dick E

#5 8Bitgrass

8Bitgrass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:20 AM

So currently I still can't get my computer to turn on. All that really turns on from what I can see is the light in the front, but nothing like the fans are turning on. Any idea of what could be wrong?

Edited by 8Bitgrass, 11 April 2015 - 09:20 AM.

#6 8Bitgrass

8Bitgrass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:11 AM

Here is the speccy information: http://postimg.org/image/tayelfjft/

I'm not familiar with posting a picture in the forums so here is a link to it.

#7 8Bitgrass

8Bitgrass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:10 PM

I checked the temperature for the cpu. When I run Watch Dogs on it during Ultra Graphics, the cpu temperature was at 78C. Is that a normal temperature??? 

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:19 PM

for my system that would be high

Dick

Dick E

#9 8Bitgrass

8Bitgrass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:14 PM

So what can I do to make it not overheat? Like if that's like the 100% sure thing that most likely is messing up my computer then Ill go buy whatever I need. I was looking at this website, talking about the temperatures: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000687.htm which I have a AMD Athlon X4 and all the AMD Athlon happen to say their normal temperature are like 80-90. This computer is custom built, so do you think it could be something internal causing this problem that I didn't install right?0

Do you think I should try adding some thermal paste?

Edited by 8Bitgrass, 12 April 2015 - 09:08 AM.

#10 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 02:39 PM

I am assuming that you have already applied thermal paste to the surfaces of the CPU and the heatsink that is attached to it. As new as it is there should not be any need to renew it at this time.

If your research indicates that temps between 80 and 90 are normal I won't argue. I just get worried when mine gets near 80.

Dick

Dick E

#11 8Bitgrass

8Bitgrass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for helping find the source of the problem Dick. I researched reviews of the cpu I got and apparently the fan that comes with it is like the worst you can get. I would assume its over heating problems that are causing this to happen. I talked to friends and they all said the heat should not be that high and that I probably shouldn't be running it if its reaching 90c. So I'll look into something better than the fan I have for it. I'll just say this problem is solved and there is no need for anymore help!  :bananas:

PROBLEM SOLVED

Edited by 8Bitgrass, 12 April 2015 - 10:38 PM.

#12 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:07 PM

8Bitgrass,

Please post back after you have the new fan WITH thermal paste applied and installed. Confirmation of the solution always helps.

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users