Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access Denied?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fitzy04

fitzy04

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:03 PM

So there is a user for our company that works off-site. He utilizes our VPN connection to access our servers and all that. About a week ago, one folder on our server started giving him an "access denied" message. I'm not sure when it changed but now this same folder is saying "<file path> not accessible." The weird thing is that he is in a security group that has access to this folder.

Also, when I added his user account to the Security tab, it still didn't work. Any suggestions? If you need more information, let me know.

I will be off all weekend and will return Monday so I won't be replying until then (apologies for this delay).

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 10 April 2015 - 04:22 PM.
Moved from Win 8 to Windows Server

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:46 AM

The file path not accessible error would seem to indicate that perhaps the folder was moved? Is he using a shortcut to get to that file? The path the shortcut is using may no be longer valid, or the folder was renamed.

Is he able to access any other folders on that server? If someone else logs in through the VPN who is in that security group, do they get the same error message?

What antivirus software is he using? It may be blocking access to the folder for some reason.

Edited by sflatechguy, 12 April 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:22 PM

"<file path> not accessible." generally means its a share related issue and not an "Access is denied" issue which relates to the NTFS permissions.

Check the share ACL and then match yhat with the Security ACL.

#4 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:25 AM

One this I did forget to include is that I work on-site (I mentioned he worked off-site) and I can access the same file path that he cannot from my computer. Could this possibly be a profile-related issue on his computer?

The whole company uses the same antivirus software (and the software is installed on every machine on the domain with the same exact installer).

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:51 PM

What type of VPN is it mate? Some like PPTP can be configured (NPS Policy) to allow the same permissions as if they where at the office but if it isnt configured properly then the permissiosn wont work when he VPN's in to work.

#6 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:31 AM

Now I feel like a total idiot... I'm sorry to waste all of your time like this but just for s**ts (yeah, I bleeped it out) and giggles, I had him run Windows Updates and he says it's allowing him read access now. Which, for some reason, he was not in the read and write group which I just gave him access to. So I'm guessing one of the updates fixed it. I hate thinking of solutions after posting to a forum like this. I seem to do it a lot, even after spending a while thinking about the problem and possible solutions...

Again, I deeply apologize for wasting your time.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:17 AM

No apologies necessary. At least it was an easy fix. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users