Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apps on Surface pro 3 showing an X on each app

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 speel

speel

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:32 PM

I have a Surface pro 3 that a user bought and each app has a little X in the corner and I'm unable to open any app. Now there are 2 accounts on this Surface 1 is the default Administrator account the other is a admin account labeled "IT". All apps work under IT but not Administrator. 

Now this is while the tablet is off the domain. Soon as we put it on their domain and they login with a domain admin account the apps are unable to open including the Windows App store.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any tips would be appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 marcdeschenes

marcdeschenes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:25 PM

I have the exact problem. It seems as though any accounts except the initial local account can access the apps w/o a problem. I created another local account after the problem started and same X on the apps.  It started on SEVERAL Surfaces 3 on April 9.

After a recycle to factory defaults, the initial local account created before any updates works fine. Domain accounts logging on the Surface 3 before any Windows updates work fine.

I installed all the latest updates which is taking forever to see if it will affect new/existing domain accounts. IT DID!!!

Any new account local or domain after updates now has an X...

Also, now the Settings/Change PC Settings just flashes and does not do anything on any accounts (unable to reset to factory defaults). It was fine before the zigabytes worth of updates.

F...

Edited by marcdeschenes, 15 April 2015 - 02:41 PM.

#3 speel

speel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:13 PM

I have the exact problem. It seems as though any accounts except the initial local account can access the apps w/o a problem. I created another local account after the problem started and same X on the apps.  It started on SEVERAL Surfaces 3 on April 9.

After a recycle to factory defaults, the initial local account created before any updates works fine. Domain accounts logging on the Surface 3 before any Windows updates work fine.

I am installing all the latest updates which is taking forever to see if it will affect new/existing domain accounts.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. This is their second Surface pro 3. First one we returned it. If you figure something out please post :)

#4 marcdeschenes

marcdeschenes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:27 AM

I found a fix that works for me I hope it can help others. I am pasting from an MS web posting (thank you andy562):

• 1) Fixing the app store:

1. Open registry editor typing regedit.exe from a command line.
      2. Browse to the registry key at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\appmodel\repository\packages.
      3. Right click on the “packages” key and bring up the “Permissions” tab.
      4. Click the “Advanced” button located at the bottom right corner.
      5. Check to see the account name that shows up as the “Owner” (this is the first line of text on the “advanced security settings” dialog for the “packages” key). It should say “SYSTEM”.  (For me this showed the built-in local Administrators group)
      6. If it is any other account, click on the “Change” button next to it.
      7. Type SYSTEM in the “select user” dialog. If “Multiple Names Found” window comes up, select the row for “SYSTEM”.
      8. Click OK to the dialogs and close them all.
      9. Run from admin command prompt:     Powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml

2) Fixing all modern apps:

Run from admin PowerShell:

((Get-ChildItem "HKLM:SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\InboxApplications") | Get-ItemProperty).Path | Add-AppxPackage -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode

* When I ran this the black X persisted until after the next step and reboot.  But trying to start an app gives me a new message and a link to the store.

3) Fixing 3rd party apps:

Delete the regkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\[UserSid]

4) Restart.  After a reboot the apps still showed the black X for a minute or so, but it soon cleared up on its own and all apps seemed to be working again.  I was also able to update the apps from the app store once signing in with a Microsoft account.  Finally, I am again able to get into PC Settings.

I should add that I threw in a WSReset.exe in elevated mode and restarted the above process after it did not 'take' the first time.

Good luck to all!

Edited by marcdeschenes, 16 April 2015 - 08:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users