Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need to use Static IP on Ethernet (for printer) and DHCP for Wireless Internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gatortpk

gatortpk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:45 PM

I have a large format printer (signs, vehicle wraps, etc.) that prints fine when connected directly to the wired (ethernet) port with a manual static IP (192.168.1.49) connection however my Internet browser can't load webpages. If I change the wired connection to DHCP or change the subnet to something other than what the local wireless router uses, the wireless connection immediately starts to work but the printer no longer works.

This setup has worked before, and it works with a local Windows 8.1 laptop. It's the main Windows XP SP3 desktop PC that can't make both connections work simultaneously anymore. This PC was infected with malware and Trojan horses. I have cleaned all that out since the printing issue occurred.

Am I missing something obvious with my setup? Could the issue be due to missing or corrupted networking software on the Windows XP desktop? Is there a way to fix the networking software without a Windows reinstallation such as a reinstallation of network drivers, etc.? 

(The wireless connection uses a DHCP IP assigned address of 192.168.1.84 with a USB wireless adapter, and the wired connection works fine when using a static IP of 192.168.1.49. If I change the wired connection to DHCP or static IP, e.g. 192.168.2.x, the internet starts to work but the printer doesn't. I've read that some OS's don't gracefully use two NICs with the same subnet.)

Any help is much appreciated, Thanks! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:58 PM

Why do you have it set like that? why not both on the same subnet?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 gatortpk

gatortpk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

Why do you have it set like that? why not both on the same subnet?

Yes.  I would prefer to connect the printer directly the same wireless router with an ethernet cable, but I'm sharing the wireless connection with a nearby store and have no easy way to route a cable to the router.  I'm trying to use the same setup I've had for years, plugging the printer directly to the desktop Windows PC.  I just can't figure out why only one connection will work at a time.  When I look at the "Network Connections" window they always both say their connected, however only one will work at a time depending on the wired connection settings.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:16 PM

"the internet starts to work but the printer doesn't."

You would have had to recreate the tcp/ip port the printer is attached to using the x.x.2.x ip address.  Then it would work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users