Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hosted Exchange with Microsoft

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bdpoop

bdpoop

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:51 AM

Hi

I succesfully set up a Hosted Exchange email system for a client using Fasthosts.  Brilliant.  Works a treat and dead easy to set up.  Support is good as well.

I noticed Microsoft are offering hosted exchange at £2.50 a month and you should be able to trial it.  All I seem to be able to do is set up a trial of Office 365 which ok this is what hosted exchange is part of but where do you go from there once you have set up a 365 account?

The MS 365 site just seems all over the place.  I have a test domain hosted with Fasthosts which I would like to use to get it all working. I have the latest OFfice software so do not really need or want the rest of OFfice 365, just exchange.  Any tips?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:44 PM

You create users in the Office 365 admin panel and they should be able to login at portal.office.com and access OWA. This assumes you added the domain to your account. I believe there is an Exchange-only version of O365, I can probably give you a link if you want.

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#3 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

Thanks

Sorry OWA?

I have found where to add the domain to the account and made added a txt record to my domain and verified ownership and I have altered the name servers to what MS told me to.  Thats it.  Thats as far as there instructions go.  I tried to add the account to my Outlook 2013 where it finds it itself but no joy.  It could be that it may take 24 hour I dont know.

They really are not very good at making it simple and I beleive this product is aimed at end users? 

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

OWA = Outlook Web Access. Once you have an email account configured, you can open a browser, go to outlook.office365.com, log in and you will be taken to your email account.

Once you've added the domain and it's been verified, you need to add all the MX and SRV records to your DNS zone files (the same place you added the TXT record). There is a setup wizard in Office 365 that tells you what records to add. Depending on who your domain registrar is, it can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 72 hours for the changes to propagate across the Internet. That could be why it's not working just yet.

Once the new DNS records propagate, you can start adding user accounts and accessing them.

#5 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:02 PM

Thanks

I got it working with the help of MS support line.  I had somehow (easily done with MS) opened the wrong trial.  I would love to say how I sorted it but not entirely sure.

Once they put me on the right service it worked. 

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:23 PM

Glad to hear that was an easy fix. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users