Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't use the Format option from menu on any drive letter

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Balta

Balta

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:35 AM

Ok this a problem that I had long time ago and by that time I solved reinstalling Windows XP from scratch, but now is back and I have too many things so if there is a quicker solution withou loosing all the configs and have to reinstall again it should be great.

Mainly the problem is at My Computer/Explorer mouse right click opens a menu, right? On that menu there is the "Format" option so if I click on that option I get nothing, no new windows with the format options, no error, no nothing and this for any fixed HDD or USB Pen drive letter on the main window (My Computer/explorer).

Also trying to format trough computer Management I get this error:

"An unexpected error has occurred. Check the system event log for more information on the error. Close the Disk Management console, them restart Disk Management or restart the computer."

and the event log says this:

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    LDM
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    2
Date:        09/04/2015
Time:        10:21:11 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    BALL9000
Description:
Unspecified error  (80004005).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

So I hope someone could help me here, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Javrak

Javrak

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:19 AM

Have you tried using diskpart in a command prompt? In XP you need to be on an administrator account, type in disk part, then "list disk", "select disk #" for the disk you want to format, "list part" to list the partition table, "sel part #" to select a particular partition, "del part (might need to use "override")". Kind of a workaround but it will definately allow you to manage your disks if disk manager isn't functioning properly.

This will allow you to go through and remove partitioned space on drives. While still in the disk to create a new partition "create partition primary". Or you can just select a particular partition and "format fs=ntfs quick".

Probably do a little more research on diskpart, it's a pretty useful tool.

Edited by Javrak, 10 April 2015 - 09:22 AM.

#3 Balta

Balta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:25 AM

Ok later I'll test that and them I report here what happened.

Anyway do you think this problem can be fixed? I work a lot with USB pen's and is much easier using the format menu than having to type commands... :smash:

Thanks.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:57 AM

Use this HP tool to format USB devices. It's better than the native Windows format.

#5 Javrak

Javrak

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:22 PM

Ok later I'll test that and them I report here what happened.

Anyway do you think this problem can be fixed? I work a lot with USB pen's and is much easier using the format menu than having to type commands... :smash:

Thanks.

I'm unfamiliar with the error you are getting, my only suggestions would be run chkdsk and sfc /scannow in a command prompt, and see if it has to do with corrupt system files. You could also try a repair install. Maybe check and make sure your USB controller drivers are up to date? The particular issue is above my knowledge level, and I would do a lot of guesswork to resolve it on my own.

Edit: Found something that might work on the microsoft site. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/error-0x80004005-unspecified-error-in-windows-7/745a1afc-f8b0-4f74-8e8a-056829ce2878

Edited by Javrak, 10 April 2015 - 02:25 PM.

#6 Balta

Balta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:06 AM

Ok lets see the result of the tests.

@Javrak: using diskpart doesn't even find a USB pen drive on list.

@JohnC_21: HP tool doesn't work as well, he identifies the drive but when I click START after the format warning gives the error: "Failed to format the device"

@Javrak: Creating a new user with Administrator roll has the same problems as the normal user I'm using so doesn't solve the menu Format option,  using Disk Manager on Computer Manager as all the other test have the same behavior. The other answer I didn't understand what "open network adapters branch." like he says as to do with this?!? Anyway I don't have nothing there named Microsoft on my side as he also report.

Edited by Balta, 11 April 2015 - 10:08 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:20 AM

I am wondering if the HP utility failure is because you cannot format using Windows. Download Partition Wizard. If that fails to format your USB flash drive then the problem is definitely with Windows.

Did you run a sfc /scannow in a command prompt as @Javrak suggested?  You will need an XP install disk with the same SP as what is on the computer.

#8 Balta

Balta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:35 AM

Yes I run sfc before.

Minitool Partion Wizard works on any drive and allows to format fixed HDD, USB pen and so on, really good.

So this means that are some files/confs from the windows tools that are not ok? This Partion Wizard tool uses their on drivers and files probably right?

Edited by Balta, 11 April 2015 - 12:35 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

Yes I run sfc before.

Minitool Partion Wizard works on any drive and allows to format fixed HDD, USB pen and so on, really good.

So this means that are some files/confs from the windows tools that are not ok? This Partion Wizard tool uses their on drivers and files probably right?

That is what I would surmise. HP's format tool was actually an extension of Windows Format and Partition Wizard uses it own drivers. I still cannot understand why format does not work other than a problem with some system file which should of been taken care of by sfc /scannow. 

Edit: As you probably already know security support for XP has ended and is not really secure. Any new security holes found will not be patched and this is true now for .NET which is a security risk for XP if it installed. If the computer can run Windows 7 I would recommend you do an upgrade or at least consider using a linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu if your hardware can support it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 April 2015 - 01:10 PM.

#10 Balta

Balta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:13 PM

Strangely SFC asks a couple of times for the windows CD, a few times just says "Windows XP Professional" but others "Windows XP Professional SP3", should this be normal or there is some mix-up on the installation?

My Initial windows setup long time ago was with a normal original CD, by that time the SP3 wasn't released yet... :smash:

This is annoying me a lot since the "Format" option on the menu is so quick and at the hand to use if you know what I mean ! 

Edited by Balta, 11 April 2015 - 01:14 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:45 PM

I am pretty sure you need the SP3 install disk, That disk would have the original files along with any SP3 updated files. Possibly when asking for the "Windows XP Professional" disk it is requiring an original system file that never needed to be updated with SP3 but I am not sure about that, I have done some searching but have not come up with a definitive answer on why this is happening. 

Edit: Just a thought. Is format,com located in C:\Windows\System32? If it is, right click the file and see what size is listed in bytes and what is the creation and modification dates.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 April 2015 - 01:52 PM.

#12 Balta

Balta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:10 PM

I have it there:

14/04/2008  12:00 PM            29,696 format.com

Same create and modified date.

Edited by Balta, 11 April 2015 - 02:12 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:28 PM

I just compared it to my SP3 and it is identical so I would have to say it is not a format.com problem but something deeper.If you look under the security tab what are the users shown? There should be Administrators, Power Users, System, and Users. Administrators and System should have all boxes checked except Special Preferences. PowerUsers and Users should only have two boxes checked, Read and Execute and Read.

#14 Balta

Balta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:12 PM

Sorry I don't have security tab in this window!?!?

All the options I have looks like this is a MS-DOS program.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:05 PM

You need to disable Simple File Sharing.

https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/acl_sec_tab.mspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users