Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi Boosters. Can I increase speed?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Cimi

Cimi

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:27 AM

Hi all, 

System Info

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 with Bing, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Pentium® CPU N3540 @ 2.16GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 55 Stepping 8
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3975 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics, -2044 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 461410 MB, Free - 394546 MB;
Motherboard: Notebook, KHLAP15N3540A
Antivirus: Kaspersky Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

I am loosing a significant amount of speed using my Wifi network opposed to running Laptop direct to Modem. Can anyone suggest a Wifi signal booster? Do they work? How do I know what one is suited to my frequency coming from my existing modem/ router? Any feedback would be appreciated :) 

Cimi 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Cimi

Cimi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:30 AM

The max line speed that comes to the Modem is 25/5Mbps 

I am only getting around 10-12 Mbs download. ( Wi-Fi) 

Cimi 

Edited by Cimi, 10 April 2015 - 06:30 AM.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:46 AM

run - netsh wlan show drivers - at a command prompt and look for the line - Radio types supported - post that line in a response

command prompt = click windows button, type cmd and hit enter.

to copy in the window = right click, click Mark, start at the right of the line, click and drag all the way to the left and then hit enter. That will copy what is marked. If you've never done it, it might take a try or 2.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Cimi

Cimi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:30 AM

Hi Cave, 

I cant run that CMD due to some other issues atm. 

Cimi 

#5 Cimi

Cimi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:34 AM

Ok, 

So here is my modem type ( Model ) 

https://yadi.sk/i/K7p2LPINfuKtP

Here are two options I am looking at . 

http://goo.gl/qy6pcS

and

http://goo.gl/GAM5U9

25mbs coming into Modem. Mobile Phone Tablets can get around 21-22 this is within the same room

Although my laptop ( note: Needs to be re-imaged , lots of issues ) . Is grabbing only 10mbs download. 

Will either of these products make any difference??

Cheers

Cimi 

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:35 AM

Ok why can't you run that simple command?

Because boosting your signal isn't going to get you more speed, it might lose speed. All signal boosting does it make the area you can receive a signal bigger. If your modem/router and card is a/b/g then you are getting what I believe is rather normal for that wireless. But if your equipment can do 'n' as well then you aren't getting the speeds you should. The link you gave for your modem/router is....well I dunno what that is but it tells us nothing.

What is the make and model of the modem/router? What is the make and model of the laptop? 

There are some things you need to understand: All speeds given are theoretical. Under the best conditions and normally in like a vacuum you can achieve the speeds advertised. But since there are so many other things involved normally reaching those speeds is not real. 

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 Cimi

Cimi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:59 AM

Ok, 

Ive managed to run the CMD line. As it stands I am losing around 4 mb from modem to devices. Is this about normal. 

So here is my modem type ( Model ) 

https://yadi.sk/i/K7p2LPINfuKtP

System Info

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 with Bing, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Pentium® CPU N3540 @ 2.16GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 55 Stepping 8
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3975 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics, -2044 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 461410 MB, Free - 394546 MB;
Motherboard: Notebook, KHLAP15N3540A
Antivirus: Kaspersky Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

#8 Cimi

Cimi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:07 AM

Radio Types; 

https://yadi.sk/i/XTqbWn9bfuRoR

Sorry I cant insert images here. 

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:10 AM

Ok after a little detective work. Have you ever gotten higher speeds on wireless or has it always bee that speed?

#10 Cimi

Cimi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:41 PM

Out the hypothetical 25 line in speed to house. Ive never got over 22 Wifi and doesnt differ much with the use of LAN

#11 Cimi

Cimi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:43 PM

Ok so after some tweaks. Ive managed to get this Laptop back up to 22Mbs download out of a possible 25

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:55 PM

There are some things you need to understand: All speeds given are theoretical. Under the best conditions and normally in like a vacuum you can achieve the speeds advertised. But since there are so many other things involved normally reaching those speeds is not real. 

That seems about right. Glad you got it worked out. 

#13 Cimi

Cimi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for taking the time to help

:) 

#14 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:50 PM

lol I didn't really do anything but you're welcome =)

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 02:15 PM

Hi Cimi,

I'm sorry I totally forgot that thread, put I'll post my reply anyway, just in case you're interested in it. WiFi Signal Booster aren't really worth it to be honest, they won't increase the actual speeds you have, but the signal, which only makes your connection more stable. And I wouldn't use any software to do that, but "hardware". There's something you can build yourself called a "Windsurfer", it's a DIY little device you can put on your router antenna(s) to increase it's range as you'll be directing the signal in a certain zone. The blueprints are on the web and it takes only a few minutes to make. Here it is:

https://rchelimenace.wordpress.com/how-to-build-your-own-windsurfer-antenna/

I made one for one of my class two years ago and it worked quite good. If you want to give it a try, go for it :) And on an end note, a wired connection will almost always give better speeds than a wireless one, because there's no loss caused by interference, signal, etc.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users