Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notebook refuses to boot after BIOS update with no error codes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nomenclature Man

Nomenclature Man

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:40 AM

Product Name: HP ENVY m7 j020dx
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I attempted a BIOS update earlier today. After it finished, it said that the screen may be black and LED's may blink for a while after (I don't remember the exact wording). Well, the screen was still black after about 4 hours, so I turned it off, and now it refuses to boot. There are no beeps, no error codes, no POST, nothing, so I figure the BIOS must be corrupted or something. I've tried resets and the windows key+b trick with no luck. I've spent a few hours trying to figure out how to run a the BIOS from a USB, but info is a bit scarce, so I couldn't figure it out. So, what else can I try? I don't really have the time nor the money to send it in for repairs, but I need this computer for school by next week.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:21 PM

Why did you decide to attempt a BIOS update?

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:48 PM

See if you can recover from the bad BIOS flash using the steps here.

If it recovers, I would not update to the new BIOS unless you are having problems. As hamluis posted, why did you want to update the BIOS?

If the recovery above does not work you will need a flash drive and the latest BIOS using the steps here.

Here is the support page of your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users