Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard and mouse gets power but does not work

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mathildasam

mathildasam

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:24 AM

I recently bought a new computer and built it myself. I do not have an operative system yet, so i need to get into bios to install it. I've tried every f-button, del, esc and every combination i can find on the internet. The problem seem to be that the keyboard and mouse can communicate with the motherboard or so. Both of them is getting power, but it wont work. I do not have a Serial port connecter (COM?), do i need it to be able to communicate? Both keyboard and mouse is USB.

Edited by computerxpds, 10 April 2015 - 05:45 AM.
Moved from Introductions to External Hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:52 PM

The keyboard and mouse start working at a very low level of boot, but why do you want into the BIOS to install an OS ?  If your computer has a CD/DVD drive and your OS is on a DVD all you need to do is start the computer purely to get power on, open the CD/DVD drive, put the disc in, close the drive and re-boot.

The computer should boot from the OS disc and install the OS. If you don't have a CD/DVD drive and need to install the OS from a memory stick it is possible that you may need to change the boot order in BIOS to USB first, or at least change it to search a USB stick for a bootable partition. In which case your motherboard documentation should tell you how to access the BIOS.

If you can't find it in your documentation, then your mobo's manufacturer's web-site is the obvious place to go for this information.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users