Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot delete a "autorun.inf" file

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fred93

fred93

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:55 PM

My OS is windows 7 and I have a "My Book " external HD that I use for a backup. Whenever I do a complete backup I delete the previous backup so that I don't run out of room. I have been doing this for years but today when I tried to delete the previous back up I get a message that says "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder" with the normal "Continue"  "Skip"  and "cancel" buttons at the bottom. When I click on the continue button I get another message that says "You require permission from .........me......to make changes to this folder" --Try Again  or Cancel    I am the one who is trying to delete this folder so why can't I???? I have gone in to the folder and manually deleted most of the files except for several "autorun.inf" files that belong to a photo album software called "Flip Books". I have always been able to delete these file before but today I can't.

I tried some of the fixes that I found online, like taking ownership of the file--ACCESS DENIED was what I got. I tried moving the file --nope---renaming the file---nope again! Can't seem to make it go away!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:00 PM

What happened when you tried in Safe Mode to delete that pesky autorun.inf?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:53 AM

Try taking ownership of this file using a command in the elevated command prompt.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zpsvudtmgfg.png, then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

cmd will appear in the results which is above the search box.  Right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator from the menu that opens.  This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the following command in the command prompt, then press Enter.

takeown /F autorun.inf

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:46 PM

Try taking ownership of this file using a command in the elevated command prompt.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zpsvudtmgfg.png, then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

cmd will appear in the results which is above the search box.  Right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator from the menu that opens.  This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the following command in the command prompt, then press Enter.

takeown /F autorun.inf

Got message "ERROR can not find file specified"  Don't know if this makes a difference but the drive letter of the "MY BOOK' external backup is "I"

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,654 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:26 PM

You need to add the drive letter in an elevated command CMD > Right click Run as Administrator

takeown /f I:\autorun.inf

#6 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:43 PM

What happened when you tried in Safe Mode to delete that pesky autorun.inf?

Well that took care of the problem--however I had one heck of a time getting it to start in safe mode. Once I was in safe mode it deleted the file okay--however when I restarted in regular mode to check to see if the file was REALLY gone I found that I needed to empty the recycle bin that the "MY BOOK" external drive has  (it is a separate bin just for that drive) So I tried to empty the recycle bin and it was deleting its files okay then all of a sudden the message popped up about needing administrator permission.  So I tried to start up in safe mode and it just wouldn't go into safe mode again--so I gave up at that point. When I finally got it to start in regular mode I checked the recycle bin again and it was empty--go figure!!!     Anyway--thanks for your help---computers can be temperamental at times!!!  

#7 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:44 PM

You need to add the drive letter in an elevated command CMD > Right click Run as Administrator

takeown /f I:\autorun.inf

I'll try that next time---see my previous post--thanks for your help as well--you guys are great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users